Another excuse for more failures:-)

The offending decimal character is a Unicode character. I've looked that the file and it seems the doc file replaces this character with (

If I copy and paste into Thunderbird I get the following line: If a man runs round the track in 52?3 sec.

I might suggest that Apple don't know how to display the word doc file format.

Reply to
Fredxx

Everybody did it frequently. Everybody went grocery shopping frequently. The bloke behind the counter added it up, and so did you to ensure you weren't being swindled. Summing cash registers came later.

Well, it would be. After the change there were only £ and p, rather than £, s, and d (and we'll soon be able to drop the p). But that doesn't mean people struggled.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Bullshit.

Bullshit, more than half left that to the mother to do.

Only the most anal bothered.

Reply to
Rex Jones

This was an era when nobody thought twice about sending a child out alone. After a few trips with her to show me things like how to tell if an egg is fresh (before they were laid with little lions stamped on them) and what to look for in fresh fish and meat, I was the one sent out to do the shopping, from about age 10 onwards. Mother was far too busy with household chores and, it seems, so were a lot of other mothers. I certainly wasn't the only kid doing the shopping back then.

Or those who had to account for every penny when they got back home. No sweets allowed on the side.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Then you'd be wrong. It looks fine here in Word 16 under macOS. It's Unicode U+F0D7 which as a valid UTF8 char is a sequence of 3 bytes: EF 83 97

This char is in the Unicode Private Use area, so looks like Microsoft decided to use that for the old-fashioned British decimal point, which some of us may remember is not a full-stop, but a dot half-way up the height of the digits. Since it's private-use it's odd that it renders correctly anywhere, unless there exists a facility to indicate how private-use characters are intended to be displayed, or some other trickery.

Perhaps Thunderbird doesn't know how to handle UTF8. I just opened the doc with Pages, and the old-fashioned decimal shows correctly, although as warned formulae don't.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What?

Are you claiming that people in the UK didn't know how to count money before 15th February 1971?

Everyone who had money had occasion to spend it, whether on groceries or other low-order items.

Troll.

She probably noticed that prices were now rising faster than ever because the new system caused a general underestimation of the value of amount less than a pound. By the time that four years had elapsed, we had 27% inflation under Wilson (whose idea it had all been).

Reply to
JNugent

Who was able to do the sums as I described.

Now run away and play, Wodney, you're becoming tedious.

Reply to
Tim Streater

This is precisely why we have PDFs with embedded fonts.

Word documents don't even display consistently in Word.

Its a font set issue. Chances are its a 'middle dot. as in 123·456 and not a full stop as in 456.789

It appears to be unicode F0D7 which isn't a public code area.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the word file embeds a font it might well work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, OK. I might try changing the font to see what I get.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It?s actually quite interesting. In the exam paper set in 1950, they were using the ?mid dot? to denote the decimal point rather than a full stop.

I dunno if this will work, but ? instead of .

The thing is, a ?mid dot? is now used to indicate multiplication in maths today so it has been translated into a multiplication symbol.

From Wiki.

In the nations of the British Empire (and, later, the Commonwealth of Nations), the full stop could be used in typewritten material and its use was not banned, although the interpunct (a.k.a. decimal point, point or mid dot) was preferred as a decimal separator, in printing technologies that could accommodate it, e.g. 99·95.[16] However, as the mid dot was already in common use in the mathematics world to indicate multiplication, the SI rejected its use as the decimal separator.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

About that decimal point thingy. It is in fact part of the 'symbol' font. If you have that on your system it will display correctly, but not in HTML necessarily.

On my system it is not installed, but it managed to find one 'close enough'

In the Symbol font it is the *dot operator*, which is also used for vector multiplication of course. (Dot product and or cross product)

It is the normal sort of Microsoft mess - unless you have the symbol font you may get nothing, or a correct 'middle dot' or an 'x', depending.

If you look for symbol.ttf you should be able to install it on Mac or Linux systems that dont have it.

e.g

The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher

Although obvious when you think about it, until that comment it had never occurred to me that one could calculate a root of a number by dividing the log of the number by the root. :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yeah, not sure why they didn't use:

U+00B7 · c2 b7 MIDDLE DOT

Reply to
Tim Streater

Huh, which it now appears I have directly on my keyboard with ALT-SHIFT-9

Reply to
Tim Streater

The . character in the Word doc is not actually a . but has been included as a unicode sequence ef 83 97, and that can show in some circumstances as a "x" like multiplication symbol if not handled correctly.

The calculated speed ought to tell you that - 17mph being a much more realistic answer than the walking pace one.

Reply to
John Rumm

Of course. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I simply meant that £sd was the only currency system we knew - in the UK at any rate.

Reply to
Roger Mills

When I first went to Geneva in 1967, it soon became clear that they had divided their franc into 20, rather than 100, and each smaller unit was known as a five-centime piece. Nothing was priced in any but a multiple of that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And Clive Sinclair came along with his, not that long after that.

Reply to
Roger Mills