Another excuse for more failures:-)

on 08/02/2022, Fredxx supposed :

It has always been a kWh, since the dawn of electricary.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Correction that should be 17.2 mph

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

I had a summer holiday job at one of the BP research sites (where Dad worked) in 1970. They had an HP? desktop scientific calculator with those wonderful glowing nixi tubes and was the size of a shop cash register of that era. Someone said it cost £10,000

Reply to
Andrew

Reverse Polish ??

Andrew

But what sort of TV did you watch it on ?

Reply to
Andrew

I was probably told to spend the first 10 minutes just reading the questions before answering any!

Reply to
Fredxx

Go FORTH and program ..

Andrew

we watched it n one which was in thehouse of friends of my parents. No idea of thr 'sort'. It was simply a TV.

Reply to
charles

Never mind RPN, Forth lets you redefine anything, which is way more confusing!

: 2 3 ;

2 2 + . gives you 6.
Reply to
Steve Walker

Obviously, black and white with, by today's standards, a very small screen. I remember going with my mother to buy it at a fairly distant electrical shop, as not many people sold them, and getting a taxi back with it on the open luggage platform. That may even have been my first taxi ride as we lived in London and public transport or walking got us most places.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

"Someone said." I used a desk calculator in 1971. "Someone said" it cost £300.

Reply to
Max Demian

I saw one of those in a lab, probably a couple of years later. It had its own dedicated operator and nobody else was allowed near it. If they cost that much, I'm not surprised. You could probably have bought a five bedroom house in London for less back then.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Vickers shipbuilding test tank at St. Albans were using mechanical calculators in 1972.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Friends of my parents and B&W

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Both wrong for speed.

440 yards take 3x52 sec = 156 seconds

1 mile takes 156x4 = 624 seconds

Distance covered in 1 hour = 3600/624 = 5.769 (or 5.77 to 3 sig figs) mph.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The question says it takes him 52.3 secs for 440 yds. Therefore 1 mile (1760yds) would take 4x52.3=209.2secs

Then 3600/209.2=17.2mph surely?

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

52 times 3 for 440 yards in the paper I?m looking at.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yer-but doesn't 440 x 4 = 1760? Therefore 52.3 x 4?

Reply to
Fredxx

Chugga-chugga-chugga (multiply). Others in the office complain at the noise. <Ignore>

Reply to
Max Demian

In 1971 I also got a new calculator at enormous expense. I purchased a Hewlett Packard HP-35 that operated in reverse polish notation. I was contracting to the United Kingdom Atomic Energy labs at Windscale at the time and doing gas flow calculations for the Advanced Gas Cooled Reactor. Data was from a test rig representing one reactor channel. The calculator was so expensive I had to claim tax relief through my little self employed business.......happy days.

Reply to
Sysadmin