Tool buy excuse needed!

Please help me justify purchase of a new gasless wire welder :) I need reasons to buy it, and things I can do with it.

Thank you, NT

Reply to
NT

Any welder is a useful tool and a gasless Mig is better than most as it can be used outdoors even in breezy conditions. It's difficult to suggest specific uses but making custom brackets, hinges etc. for all kind of purposes is a common use.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Gas/no gas welder cheaper to run, not one that is no gas exclusively, that flux coated stuff is expensive.

Repairs on anything metal, mig can be turned right down, never fear a stuck bolt again, weld a nut on to it.

Fabrication, its faster than any other fastener.

Security, electric pigeon is just the thing for reinforcing pathetic hinge and hasp hardware.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

In article , NT writes

Easy, you're buying it to save money [1], by not buying gas.

[1] Classic fem logic excuse (if that is what is required)
Reply to
fred

Add "it was a bargain in the sales!" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Think you can get ones which are gas or gas less. Gasless costs quite a bit more to run. I want a TIG...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why not try the truth - "I want one because I fancy one", and perhaps add: "because I'm worth it!"

If you don't know what you'll use it for, you can't *really* need it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

TMH's electricity voltage has recently been riding a bit high.

With one of these you could bring it down and save him a few more lightbulbs, perhaps?

Reply to
Adrian C

perhaps add:

seldom

I've never regretted buying any type of tool, they all come in use in the long term, and believe me I have a few. All I'd say is you get what you pay for, and tools should be well enough built to last you out. If not don't buy them!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks for feedback re gas/gasless, will look at that.

Seriously though something practical that can defray the cost would be perfect. Also any suggestions on where best to get bar/tube/angle from.

NT

Reply to
NT

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Roger Mills" saying something like:

Pah. Some tool-buyer you are. You don't need an excuse to buy a tool.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember NT saying something like:

Most decent sized towns have steel stockholders, but if you're in a country town, seek out your Farm Supplies place; you'd be surprised what they've got in stock. Farmers need all sorts for running repairs and making stuff.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Look here:

prices especially for longer lengths, excellent delivery.

Use tube for making custom desks etc.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In article , NT writes

I've found Metal Supermarkets to be good, good stock, no minimum order, will cut/guillotine to size. Find them in yellow pages, don't waste your time on the website, it's pants and US only.

Reply to
fred

..to replace (dull) wooden stair spindles with (classy) curved iron work.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur51

How are scrapyards these days for buying steel from? Been years since I did, price was good then.

NT

Reply to
NT

NT

How are scrapyards these days for buying steel from? Been years since I did, price was good then.

NT

In these risk averse Brussels paperwork bound days the usual response will be:

"Can't go in there guv - Elf & Safety - morn me jobs worth"

Time was when you could wander at will - no longer sadly.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It's been a couple of years for me too but my local place was fine about me wandering about and as you say, the price was good, scrap value + a nominal amount.

Reply to
fred

cheers, thtas what I wanted to hear :) Guess I'll just have to try and see

NT

Reply to
NT

Repair the broken gassed MIG.