Whirlpool bath wiring

The whirlpool (spa) bath we've ordered comes with a European style fitted mains plug (yes, I know...) and an in-cable breaker of some kind - presumably an RCD - quite close to the plug. This obviously isn't a satisfactory arrangement for the UK, so will it be OK to cut off both the plug and the breaker and wire directly (via a double-pole isolator) - assuming that it will be connected to a circuit that already has a 30 mA RCD?

I've looked at earlier posts on this subject but they're all quite old, and don't cover the case of an in-cable RCD already being fitted.

Richard.

Richard Russell

it won't get we if there is a flood under there!) this then connects to a Fused connection unit (Double pole isolator with a fuse) that is above the door, ouside the bathroom - This is then connected as a spur from the downstairs ring main, which is 30mA RCD protected.

I think you just need to make sure the connection is accesible, but not without having to remove the bath panel (with tools) - I was installing a fan isolator anyway, and the wall this was on was due to be plastered too, so I decided to put it next to that.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

That's how I have wired them up in the past.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The builders who put my spa bath in 18 months ago put it on its own RCBO at the CU (via an FCU) rather than just wire it into the 30mA RCD protected ring. I can't remember whether I queried this at the time, but I can't see how it makes any difference unless maybe the RCBO is faster acting than the main RCD.

Reply to
pcb1962

The builders who put my spa bath in 18 months ago put it on its own RCBO at the CU (via an FCU) rather than just wire it into the 30mA RCD protected ring. I can't remember whether I queried this at the time, but I can't see how it makes any difference unless maybe the RCBO is faster acting than the main RCD.

That seems like an unnessesary expense if the RCD and RCBO are both rated at

30mA.

If the bath is one with a 3kW heater built into it then it would make sense to have a seperate supply.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The bath has just air and water pumps, no heater, the RCBO is rated

10A, so as far as I can see there would have been no problem with just including it in the bedroom ring circuit. Like you say, an unnecessary expense.
Reply to
pcb1962