Wellness Whirlpool bath wiring

I am about to install this bath, but I'm not certain about what is permitted for wiring it up. (I've read the archive where someone asked a similar question, possibly about the same bath, but I think the answer ends up re-using the shower circuit, so it doesn't help me directly - if I've misread it. let me know).

The instructions say: "The electrical supply to the unit must be protected via an earth leakage/residual circuit breaker (ELCB, RCB or RCCB) of a 13A rating with a

30mA trip mechanism. The supply line should be fed through a suitably wired isolator having a minimum gap separation of 3mm on all poles. The isolator and RCB must be located outside the bathroom area. This applicance must be permanently connected to fixed wiring." There is a diagram showing the mains supply going to the RCD, then 1.5mm2 cable to the isolator, then they provide 4m of twin and earth flex to the control box of the pump.

I was thinking of using a double pole (20A rated) switch (with neon) as the isolator, and a FCU with embedded 30mA RCD.

Questions:

1) Can I connect this as a spur from the nearby ring main? 2) I plan to mount these on the hall wall immediately outisde the bathroom - any reason why they can't be low down (at socket height)? 3) The words imply the isolator comes before the RCD, the diagram shows it after - does it matter (as far as the regs are concerned)? 4) If I need to run this as a radial from the CU, there are no spare breakers, but one is a 5A which is only used for the burglar alarm. Can I share this one (obviously by uprating the breaker)?

Thanks for your help - I've learned a lot by reading the very helpful discussions here. (BTW: I'm in Scotland, so not directly impacted by Prat P). Ken.

Reply to
Ken Adam

Yes

No

No. The important thing is that you can isolate the unit so that you can carry out maintenance on it.

If the ring circuit you are using already has its own RCD then there is not need for another one.

Only if the cable to the alarm is good for the current.

Does the bath really consume 13A? That seems like quite alot for a pump. (or does it also include heating)?

;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

John, Thanks for the quick reply. The instructions don't quote the power consumption of the pump, but say "supply requirements 230-240V AC single phase 13A", which may not be the actual rating. I'll check the markings on the pump itself, next time I go there (renovating my mother's house). Ken.

Reply to
Ken Adam