Heated Towel Rails and Lighting Circuits

Hi all,

is it a big no no to connect a heated towel rail to the lighting circuit?, I am aware of loading issues but there are some quite low wattage rails avilable. Or is this a no no regardless of wattage?

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

Don't do it.

Mick. Leeds U.K.

Reply to
micky savage

Perfectly ok. Unlike ring main circuits, lighting ones are protected at their maximum continuous rating under any conditions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But it would be worth checking to see whether the lighting circuit is RCD protected would it not?

After all, elextricity, water and bathrooms seem to be a very sensitive subject.

Reply to
PeTe33

An RCD is really to protect from touching a live wire etc which shouldn't be possible in this case as it will be earthed.

The towel rail, of course, should be properly cross bonded if it falls within that area in the bathroom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why? A towel rail would only require RCD protection if installed in Zone

1 (i.e. directly over the bath). In Zone 2 no RCD is required, but the appliance must meet IPX4. In Zone 3 or beyond there are no special requirements at all. The control switch/isolator must be in Zone 3 or beyond, in any case.

Don't forget the supplementary bonding.

(Note for future Google archive readers: this article will be invalid after 01/06/2008, the expected date by which the 17th Edition of the wiring regs will be in force.)

Reply to
Andy Wade

Ah forgot about that bit.

On a similar note... when we bought our 1970's house there was (and still is) an Electric fan heater in the bathroom with 800W, 1200W &

1800W settings, this _was_ wired to the lighting circuit and an original standard fitment fuse box in the garage.

Not a great combination really.

Reply to
PeTe33

Put it on it's own ring. like a shower.

Micky

Reply to
micky savage

Why would it need a ring if it's the only thing on the circuit? And showers aren't on rings either.

You are a plantpot.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If your shower is on a ring get a decent electrician in pronto.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

sound.

Good call Dave I meant fusing device.

Regards.

Mick

Reply to
micky savage

You're suggesting a heated towel rail should be on its own circuit same as an electric shower - ie a radial from the CU? Not needed with most towel rails - they usually take no more than about 150 watts. They aren't room heaters as such but only intended to dry towels, strangely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you know what's changing, or is the above just a general disclaimer?

David

Reply to
Lobster

And even better to check whether it has a CPC?! (Although a later post mentions the 1970s, so presumably it does)

David

Reply to
Lobster

You must have missed the recent thread, subject "Seventeenth edition" and probably still on your server. Otherwise try

Andy Wade

Indeed.

Thanks! David

Reply to
Lobster

Oh dear. Isn't that copyright?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think it's of sufficient artistic merit or distinctiveness to constitute an original work.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

One is reminded of "flobadob ickle weed"

The plot in that program varied little from episode to episode as well The only burning question was "Was it Bill or was it Ben?"

I can only think that DIMM is the reincarnation of one of these terracotta dwellers - it does all fit:

- Repetitive and unintelligible sentences

- A minor mishap every week

- Same plot every week

"and I think the little house knew something about it! Don't You? "

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:48:39 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Indeed. Ring mains are designed to power just this sort of general appliance.

Reply to
David Hansen