Element for Heated Towel Rail

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought an electric towel rail from a company (whom I won't name) that arrived with the thermostat completely banjaxed, as the company have a policy of not accepting any returns if not notified within 3 days I am faced with the prospect of having a moderately expensive towel rail that can't be fitted. Leaving aside the issues of why I didn't inspect it immediately and the legality of the returns policy, I am looking at a number of options and am interested to know if these types of thermostats are generally easily available and easy to fit. My suspicion is that they are as the rails are advertised with a variety of different options but Googling the manufacturer hasn't given much information as to where I could get one or which to get.

A link to the towel rail is here (and no this isn't where I bought it from):

Endulini

m):

the item is >=A3100, call the credit card company. #1 - Some offer free "oops" cover for 30-90 days (Barclaycard, probably Amex, maybe others) #2 - They may be able to advise / put pressure on the merchant

To replace the electric element. #1 - Assume the fluid fill is oil or water/coolant re mess (do not spill) #2 - You need a 22mm spanner, about =A33-4 off Ebay #3 - Check the wattage of the existing element, 500W, 600W etc #4 - Order one of EU manufacture from anyone #5 - Remove old, screw in new.

If the old element is say 500W fixed temp (eg, 65oC) you can pick up a standard replacement for about =A318-29. By fixed temp I mean it has just a cable coming out of a chrome/white cap on the end. No little dial or lights & button etc. Rica is one common brand, screwfix often have some cheap.

You can fit a variable temperature unit 30-37.5-45-52.5-60oC for about =A351-88, they are called MEG 1.0 and come in various ratings. You can fit a 600W element in a 524W rated radiator. Do NOT screw the unit in via the body, because it will break things inside. Black is usually cheaper than grey/chrome/white for MEG. They seem reliable, used a few. Note there is no "runback and turn off" timer on the MEG. Some other thermostat towel rails have a 2hr-run push-button and drop to power off or low power thereafter.

Note, if the old element is very bent check the radiator is straight enough. They can be bent during welding - but also dented during shipping and a non-flat radiator makes it hard to "flip it around" to hide the point.

Reply to
js.b1

Don't take any of that pony! If its inside the time limit for the distance selling regs (10 working days or something like that), then return it under those.

Its sure to be fixable, but why bother? Use your statutory rights.

Reply to
John Rumm