Another excuse for more failures:-)

That is very arguable with the best engineers like Tesla etc.

Reply to
Rex Jones

Because they did Office for the Mac and presumably hope it will continue to be used on Macs.

Reply to
Rex Jones

And university. Less than half the physicists had access to a computer. No pocket calculators (even four function) until the 70's.

Reply to
newshound

In which case, why bother with a read-only version?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I did question one. First I automatically moved my mouse across for a spreadsheet... then slapped my wrists. :)

It took me a couple of minutes, no more than that. But I managed to slip a decimal point somewhere :( I daresay under exam conditions I'd take more care. Noticing that there are a lot of common factors helps.

I'm going to retire in April, and was just discussing this with my colleagues. I know _exactly_ where I was on 11th July 1969 - since my father was a professional pilot, and my mother's father was ex RFC flying is in the blood - but it turned out only one of my colleagues was alive at the time. And he was in a cot!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

For the same reason they had it for Win, so those who had not bought Office could read documents prepared with Word.

Reply to
Rex Jones

On re-reading I can see that.

Reply to
Fredxx

I remember the Queen's Coronation.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

As my teachers used to say, "Always read the question!" ;)

Reply to
Steve Walker

My first pocket calculator was a Commodore US*4, four function + memory, which my father bought for me while in the States. That would have been very early 1970s. He put it on company expenses, as it cost about £60 at the time.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Our first calculators at school were all hand cranked, then we got fancy electronic ones with reverse Polish notation.

Tell kids today that you used to have to X + Y -= to subtract Y from X and they won?t believe you. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

THE Calculus, please...!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I remember getting very wet that day, in Hyde Park. A nice policeman sheltered me under his cape and gave me Spangles.

I remember the Korean war - just. But I did somehow end up with the impression that Korea was in the middle of China.

Reply to
Tim Streater

memories of HP-35 are

X Enter Y

+
Reply to
Robin

a difference of infinitesimal importance in modern English

Reply to
Robin

or, cough, even

X Enter Y

-
Reply to
Robin

Question 2 seems somewhat easier, i calculate 3.411 mph and 95 feet radius BICBW!

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

The US*4 was nominally a pocket calculator, although you needed quite a big pocket. Some years before that I had worked as in import/export clerk and there we used hand cranked calculators, but they were desktop machines.

One of my colleagues there had something like this, but for £sd, rather than feet and inches:

I'm not sure I believed reverse Polish notation at the time :-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

That's walking speed, not running!

And you'd have been marked down even if your sums were right 'cos the question calls for "three significant figures", not 3 decimal places.

Reply to
Robin

I didn't disagree with you..

Reply to