Another Darwin award candidate?

bit reduced .. a bit;!..

Now one can tell thats a JBG answer and no need to look at the sig at the bottom;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Actually, no. I was thinking of the overhead National Grid power lines crossing the line as depicted in the last picture where the railway's own

25KV overhead lines had become totally invisible. There's power lines and then there's Power Lines. National Grid, or railway electrification? You choose!

The fact that the line in question is an electrified one only becomes apparent in the penultimate picture immediately above. I had to re-visit that web page in order to confirm which electric overhead lines had been involved. Some of the early follow up postings rather suggested it was contact with an overhead Grid power line that had been the source of the electrocution event.

If that had been the case, then the choice of standing location for trains under an unguarded National Grid Power line would have been a matter of serious neglect by the train/railway companies involved.

The lack of involvement with the National Grid lines that just happen to cross the railway at that point changes things considerably as far as the level of responsibility by the rail company goes. For starters, it wouldn't have made any difference as to where the freight train happened to 'be parked' other than requiring the victim to walk a longer distance, trackside to gain access to his nemesis.

Since it only takes a relatively tiny hole in the fence to permit a 16 year old child such lethal access, such a defect could have been present anywhere along a 2 or 3 kilometre stretch making it all but impossible for track maintenance to guarantee full and complete integrity of such fencing from any one day to the next.

How much responsibility is placed on the rail company will be a matter of judgement depending on whether there was just the one fencing defect within a kilometre or so of the accident scene and an absence of reports to the company by the general public in regard of trespass by children and other obviously unauthorised persons.

If post-mortem examination of the railway fencing in the vicinity of the accident reveals a lack of regular maintenance and repair, along with reports of regular trespass by children and young adults (the news report made some brief mention of this), the company will likely be judged to carry a major responsibility in this 'incident' and the lad's mum will then be able to gain a substantial award in the ensuing damages claim.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Are you sure about that? I can't see any NG lines on the OS map, and if you look at Streetview, oddly a later shot than the BBC report appears to have used, you can clearly see that the wires are all railway electrification.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Maybe he was hoping to get a job as a train conductor?

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Good point, our dependency is on fossil fuel. As it runs out the Earths' population will crash.

As to the harps, this technology is being experimented with. But it's ribbons not strings.

harry

I thought those jobs were for Poles &c?

Reply to
harry

A technology known to be hopeless, and only experimented on by folk that don't know it yet. With a big enough ribbon you might run a digital LCD calculator.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Fortunate for us then that it need never run out. We already have the technology to create oil from readily available raw materials. It just remains cheaper, for now, to extract it from the ground.

Reply to
Nightjar

Funny you think it's ok to show such videos to children.

Are you the type to think it's ok to show something more horrific like nudity to children as well.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Meanwhile here in Melbourne there are miles of unfenced lines in suburbia - something I found very disconcerting when I first moved here.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

En el artículo , Fredxxx escribió:

Education. Perhaps if it causes a few less brats to auto-darwinate it will have been worth it. Like messy suicides, it's the people that have to clean up afterwards that I feel sorry for.

My, you are narrow-minded, aren't you. If you teach children that nudity is something to be embarrassed or ashamed of, you're setting them up for all kinds of neuroses in later life.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Is nudity really that horrific and unnatural. if you notice what cultures r eligions or beleifs think that way then you'll see where there's much more of a problem with that idea.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Peter Hucker on Jimmy Savile: "If he had done it against their will, they would have come forwards earlier. The fact that they didn't suggests either he did nothing at all, or the children liked it".

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire