Angle grinder discs.

From another forum:-

I was scared enough of them before...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Bad that the expiry date had been over-stamped, they were cutting discs, yet he kept saying grinding, I wonder whether he was using them for cutting or grinding?

Reply to
Andy Burns

And where did he get them from? Boot sale? Tis bad though and good that he's trying to warn others.

Reply to
Dean Heighington

The morale being to check the dates on stuff you use, and if it's stickered, remove the sticker to check the actual date ..

TBH I never knew they had a 'use by' date, better check mine as I've just bought a stack ready to attack the Landrover ... so thanks for posting .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

News to me that angle grinder discs have a use by date!

I tend to purchase 10 at a time and they sit in a damp, unheated workshop until needed.

Wasn't that an offset centre? To me they looked to be *thin* grinding discs.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I must admit I've always used the UseBy date as advisory on discs. I couldn't quite see why they would deteriorate with time. Presumably, from this, they get brittle with age.

OTOH, looking at his other vids it's *possible* that he was grinding with them (restoration of a Ford(?) 100E) - the vid on 4th Sep refers to cleaning up rust.

Also, looking at the disc, unless it gave up as soon as it touched the work, there's no sign of damage on the text side of the disc which starts gets worn away as soon as you cut any depth.

Reply to
Scott M

Must admit my stock sitting in the shed is probably 4-5 years old

Looking again, yes they do seem to have a depressed centre

Looking at his other videos, seems he's been cutting out rotten sills (and presumably the old bulkhead) and then grinding down welds on his replaced bulkhead.

Hopefully he'll post further updates ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

If it has been done properly there is nothing wrong with it at all and it is a common procedure. The life limit assumes pretty much worst case storage conditions. Out of date bulk stock which has been stored appropriately can be life extend by the manufacturer or an appropriate test house after inspection and sample testing. This would be perfectly normal, safe and acceptable. In this case there is both a batch number for traceability and an expiry date so it looks as if this is what has been done.

If sourced from a quality supplier like "knockoffwheels34" on eBay then it is of course possible that a batch of old discs has been "rescued" from the waste chain and simply had stickers applied.

I'm rather surprised there is no wear on the back of the broken discs though. If used for cutting I'd expect to see the backing worn off almost immediately. Using a cutting disc for heavy grinding is likely to lead to disc failure.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Much like many people I guess, if I say I've been grinding off the sills on the Landrover, what I might mean is that I used cutting discs to cut them off, grinding discs to grind down the welds and a flapdisk to finish off nicely.

But yes, there would probably be some wear apparent to the rest of the disc, unless it broke up immediately on contact .. or if he made a very heavy initial contact .. or dropped it while turned on!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I worked in an Engineering Shop for 33 years, and the worst I ever saw was just one or two boiler suits get snagged.

I put "angle grinder accidents" into Youtube search.

And got

only watched the first one!!!
Safe.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

I have since checked my stock. Bosch.... no use by dates.

Parting off metal is tricky as stored stresses or leverage can pinch the disc. This has happened to me on lots of occasions so far without damage to discs or person.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Amen to that. We've got disks labelled "cutting", a speaker who keeps referring to them as "grinding" disks, and a wear pattern consistent with grinding use. In the absence of further information, it's not the disk maker or seller I'd be looking to blame here.

Cutting and grinding disks are made differently, with different reinforcements. If you grind on the side of a cutting disk, it'll explode, no matter who made it or how recently.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The thickness would suggest they were grinding disks, yet they were clearly marked cutting.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andy Burns

Part of his palm IIRC and I joked about it smelling of cheese and he said that it often did... Especially in the morning! I shit you not... :)

Reply to
Dean Heighington

I just posted a comment on his channel to see if we can get a bit more information about the circumstances, and what he was trying to do...

Reply to
John Rumm

Funnily enough, we've just had a safety memo go around at work after a disk failed on site and was later found to be out of date. Before that I hadn't realised either.

In at least one case for me, right under a leak in the roof for some time!

Definitely offset.

Reply to
Steve Walker

'Kinell! Not so much to do with the date, more the crap quality. I've got and use discs that are a few years old and none have ever done that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I notice he has taken the vid down. No response to any of the questions about whether he was being a muppet either...

Reply to
John Rumm

D'oh!

Oh, I checked all my DeWalt discs the other day - none of them have expiry dates. Do the ones in the UK? Maybe DeWalt ones never do - or maybe the need for a date is just an EU/UK thing?

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson