broken piston rod

I have a Honda 530 GXV engine for a riding mower with a broken piston rod (

13200-Z0A-801). I found ones on the internet, but they go for $60, which is a lot for this. Does anyone have an idea of how close are the tolerances for other onces that I might find? If I go to a junk auto yard, do I have a reasonable chance of finding one in a car with the same dimensions, or do cars use much bigger ones? If I look around for lawn mowers, with a Honda engine, how much of a chance is there that I'd find one which fits, or are they really propriatary with custom dimensions.
Reply to
Deodiaus

(13200-Z0A-801). I found ones on the internet, but they go for $60, which is a lot for this. Does anyone have an idea of how close are the tolerance s for other onces that I might find? If I go to a junk auto yard, do I hav e a reasonable chance of finding one in a car with the same dimensions, or do cars use much bigger ones? If I look around for lawn mowers, with a Hon da engine, how much of a chance is there that I'd find one which fits, or a re they really propriatary with custom dimensions.

?

bob_villain

Any 530GX ros will fit

Reply to
clare

Won't fit. Only Fits Specific Honda GX140, GX160 & GX200 Series Engines

Reply to
clare

I'd give that about a 0% probability of success.

Worst case you find one that matches the crank and piston pin diameters but is about .100 longer between the centerlines and the head has a .030 squish band.

Reply to
rbowman

A broken rod will USUALLY also require servicing the crank. If you are lucky a bit of lye will disolve the aluminum off the crank and there will be no damage to the crank - but don't count on it. You need connecting rod Part #: 13200-Z0A-801 and it lists at about $73. You might think that is a lot for the part - get used to it!!

Boats.net has it for $46 - but add shipping before comparing to local sealer costs.

Reply to
clare

od (13200-Z0A-801). I found ones on the internet, but they go for $60, whic h is a lot for this. Does anyone have an idea of how close are the toleran ces for other onces that I might find? If I go to a junk auto yard, do I h ave a reasonable chance of finding one in a car with the same dimensions, o r do cars use much bigger ones? If I look around for lawn mowers, with a H onda engine, how much of a chance is there that I'd find one which fits, or are they really propriatary with custom dimensions.

I used lye on an old 7 hp Tecumseh with a broken crank...I though I was the 1st! Damn! It polished-up real nice.

Reply to
bob_villain

The crank case gas a 4" X crack. Is crank made from steel or Al? I was thinking of having it welded. I was watching youtube about using JB Weld?

Reply to
Deodiaus

The crank case gas a 2" X crack. Is crank made from steel or Al? I was thinking of having it professionally welded if less than $60. Or using a Mg sparkler ;< I was watching youtube about using JB Weld?

Reply to
Deodiaus

AL alloy...excuse me for chuckling about JB! 8^)

Reply to
bob_villain

Your obvious lack of expertise in this field leads me to recommend you just buy another motor . The chances of a successful repair -in light of your questions - are between slim and none . I recently rebuilt a Kohler KT17Q opposed twin that had a broken rod . It took a new crank , rods , pistons , and a machine shop and TIG welder to repair . I have all these tools , you don't or you wouldn't be talking about using JB Weld ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The plot thickens... So the crankcase is damaged too? Does your boat need an anchor because that is what you have.

Reply to
rbowman

Not necessarily ... I had to weld a plug in the side of my Kohler opposed twin after it tossed a rod - the difference being that I have a full machine shop and a TIG welder . That wasn't my first choice though . I bought a case half and when it arrived I discovered that some yokel had ground the gaskets off the precision machined sealing surface at the case joint . Instant refund , and I still have the case to be melted down and recast into something else . In this guy's case though I agree with you . From the questions he's asking he's in over his head .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I like to laugh at people having trouble with old fashioned petrol mowers. Electricity is the future.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

go ahead and laugh, until the generator throws a rod.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I don't have a generator.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I figure the next step will be "The piston is cracked too. Will eutectic brazing work or should I just use JB Weld like I saw on the internet?" Then we can move on to the state of the valves.

Then there was the post with the 4" crack -- I guess it's spreading.

Reply to
rbowman

I just can't see you as the laughing type.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I laugh at people with busted lawnmower engines.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

The crank is steel. If the crankcase has a 4 inch hole in it, there is a good chance it's "tweaked" too. If I was in the bush in Africa I'd likely try fixing it, but around hrere, realistically, it's really not worth fixing. If I was going to fix it, I'd have it welded. You need to bake all the oil out before either welding or gluing the hole shut. It is NOT a simple repair.

Reply to
clare