broken piston rod

A lead is for walking the dog...a cord is an electrical extension.

Reply to
bob_villain

No, a cord is a piece of string, something like you'd pull a blind down with to keep the sun out of your window. Actually, we mostly just say "an extension", the context makes it obvious it's for electricity. Dunno why some people say lead - normally the wire is called a wire or a flex.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

ote:

s only limited to the length of extension lead you can get, and there are a lso powerful models available."

ith to keep the sun out of your window. Actually, we mostly just say "an e xtension", the context makes it obvious it's for electricity. Dunno why so me people say lead - normally the wire is called a wire or a flex.

There is reinforcing in an electrical extension...that's why it's called a cord. You didn't even mention a lead for a dog...maybe you have no opinion? Fat chance of that!

Reply to
bob_villain

I've never seen reinforcing in one. It's just a PVC wire the same as a flex for a device.

Eh? You mentioned the dog.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Then obviously...you've never stripped one...not very handy, are you?

Flex? No such thing!

Reply to
bob_villain

I've stripped plenty. Here, inform yourself:

That's the stuff used for appliances and for extensions. In fact everything other than wires inside walls.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Jeez. Would you guys take your cross-the-pond what do words mean pointless, useless argument back to the playground?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

He started it. And.... he's an American. All Americans are childish.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

The plaster will blow away before you get hot enough to melt. A sand backing MIGHT work if you use refractory sand and keep it DRY,(use binder, but not water!) Tou will need a LOT of BTIs because the whole crankcase will act as a heat sink - sucking away all the heat you can give it. Even to Tif weld it I'd heat the whole thing with a big propane weed-burner or rose-bud tip torch before attempting to weld it or you really need to "pour the coals to it" with the TIG.

Using aluminum "brazing" rods you really need to heat the whole case pretty good too.

Reply to
clare

I can just see the idiot - even with 240 volts like they use in Limey-Land - running a 250 foot #8 cord to get enough power to the mower - or having half a dozen outdoor power posts scattered around the yard so he can get away with 50 ft cords - and then forgetting and running over the cord making 25 foot cords.

Electric is fine for the little "gardens" around the "flats" in London or Birmingham - but living in council housing he doesn't enen need to wory about that. A Bulimic rabbit could keep up with most of those yards.

Reply to
clare

Yes, we have proper electricity, not battery voltage.

WTF is a #8 cord? Why do you have code numbers? Ours are sold by the amperage they take. And all extensions are 13 amp, so you can plug anything into them.

Calculating.... our 13A extensions are 16AWG, which would only drop 10 volts over 250 feet with a 1kW motor running. So your point has failed miserably.

I don't live in council housing.

We don't mow yards, because yards are concrete. We mow lawns.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Wow, you are an idiot! Do you think a company selling wire is going to show the reinforcing material for a catalog? Maybe you have lower standards where you're at, but this would be an actual extension cord:

bob_villain

Says the guy who doesn't know what a sig delimiter is.

Nope, we don't use wire like that, we use wire like I showed in my link, and that's what it looks like when you strip it to replace the plug.

And why doesn't your extension cord have an earth?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

ote:

called a cord.

as a flex for a device.

ion? Fat chance of that!

ything other than wires inside walls.

terial for a catalog? Maybe you have lower standards where you're at, but t his would be an actual extension cord:

and that's what it looks like when you strip it to replace the plug.

Another ignorant question, I'm using a double-insulated tool. And your cord s are truly lacking in quality and safety. I'm fairly sure I stripped simil ar cord from Canada and it had fiber strengthening in it. It was used on a Carroll hospital bed. Obviously, you fellas accept less!

Reply to
bob_villain

Probably for the same reason Stormin Mormon thinks he's "center posting" by breaking the middle of a sentence and putting his words inside brackets.

Reply to
RonNNN

Could you figure it out...then what's the bitch?

Reply to
bob_villain

No bitch, just a simple answer to a dumb question.

Reply to
RonNNN

[ How else are you supposed to interrupt someone? ]

Reply to
George in SC

+1
Reply to
trader_4

Just like you did it, however I doubt that a Christmas tree will grow from this seedling. [g]

Reply to
RonNNN