$1800 for a heat pump compressor? Seriously?

The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

While I'm no HVAC guy, I do understand basic mechanics, and I know that there is nothing either technologically or mechanically wondrous about compressors. I can't get my head around why this part should cost more than a replacement car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

I had a good read on the technician. He was very candid and frank in our discussion and he took the time to show me what his troubleshooting steps were. He helped me explore possible alternatives to save a buck, but he could not tell me why a new compressor cost so much.

Am I being severely up-charged by the reseller, or is this the going rate. If this is the going rate, then could anyone tell me why they're so expensive? If it helps, the repair guy said my unit was a

4-tonner. I don't really know what that means, but I assume it indicates the general size.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Reply to
trbo20

Sounds like you haven't priced things in a long time.

Reply to
George

How so? I purchased a riding lawn mower this spring for $1700, and replaced my Honda Civic engine with a rebuilt one for $1600.

Reply to
trbo20

At age 13, unless the replacement is higher efficiency, you're probably better off replacing the whole unit.

I would guess the cost is at least partially owing to the age and the changes in that time. I presume the new will also include switchover to new refrigerant and if so, the sizing difference is part of the equation as well. 4T is a good-sized unit as well...

--

Reply to
dpb

I would think you could buy a whole new outdoor unit for that amount.

Steve Barker

Wow. $1800? I paid $2400

Reply to
SteveB

Installed, or is that just the parts?

Reply to
CJT

quoted text -

Installed

Reply to
trbo20

Consider a better furnace.

Reply to
franz frippl

car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

A Jasper rebuilt engine for my car cost about $4000 installed, and that was about 6 years ago.

Reply to
scott21230

quoted text -

Doesn't seem out of line to me.

Reply to
CJT

equivelent in tons of ice. I've only seen it previously used as a rating for AC, not heating.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

government doesnt regulate who puts a car engine in, they do regulate who installs ac units .. gov has turned the hvac industry into pompus overpaid industry.

ds549

And now the new one is chugging away and you're not standing there shivering in the cold. What can this mean?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And the biggest user AND dumper of HFCs is .......................

you guessed it. The Gov't.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

quoted text -

quoted text -

Yeah, I've gotten that feedback from a lot of people now. Seems like my expectations were pretty off.

Reply to
trbo20

quoted text -

quoted text -

Alas ... and such prices make updates difficult to justify based on energy savings.

Reply to
CJT

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone has so far, I missed it.

Reply to
clifto

So, a four ton unit is equivilant to four tons of ice? Would I put that ice in the cellar, and melt it slowly over the summer?

I know the answer, but I'm not sure you do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

no, cold air falls, so you need the 4 ton block of ice in the attic.

Steve Barker