Dirty Sock Syndrome Trane Heat Pump

For those who would understand the subject line should say it all. In North GA USA I have 1.5 ton Trane heat pump about 6 years old. It has the dirty socks syndrome, which is the colloquial and accurate description for its tendency to emit an odor like extreme musty socks. It has done this every year and cured itself after heating for awhile but this year is the worst. I looked into it, called the Trane tech support rep. who told me my warranty was useless (big surprise) and it would require a new heating coil for 1500 plus installation cost. I did some research and learned that I may get by by giving the coil and good bleach cleaning. I can shit this down and tear it apart. Can anyone tell me where the coil is located?

Any advice in general of things I might try myself before I lay out money for a new coil?

I apologize in advance for my prejudice... I expect all the HVAC guys here are going to weigh in tell me what a jerk I am for even considering repairing this myself because it is technologically beyond the abilities of a DIYer and how HVAC guys are all honest and of impeccable credentials and ad museum. Unfortunately, in my experience with the industry-at least locally-it is about as open and honest as the Sopranos. I am very distrusting of the techs and "certified" HVAC people in my area. "Jethro", the original "certified" HVAC installer stiffed me on the initial installation doing about 75% of the work for 100% of the money and then disappearing; he lost or parlayed the unit's warranty info and in the end I had to hire another installer to finish and correct his work. This is the rule, not the exception for (native) North GA residential building "experts." The original installer declared bankruptcy and retired after being tragically struck in the head by his meth pipe. I am convinced that even though HVAC service and repair seems to be mystified by the industry as something akin to rocket science, that if Jethro and his ilk can become "certified" HVAC installers for a company like Trane that I ought to be able to figure this out myself.

So ... any actual DIY advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
JB

you can clean it all you want , but once you get dss , you'll have it forever without replacing the coil , problem is , heatpumps , never get hot enough to kill the microbes that exist on the coil , as regular furnaces do, ultimate solution , is ultraviolet , like sanuvox , or aprilaire contact your local hvac dealer for more info and pricing

"JB" wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

th- Hide quoted text -

So as a potential first time home builder, i can expect this if i buy a new heat pump?

^JB, I feel you pain on repairs. In this town, all is overpriced. 10% on construction from the next city!

Reply to
cln

potentially. yes , op is in georgia, very high relative humidity, your mileage may vary .

cln wrote:

you can clean it all you want , but once you get dss , you'll have it fore=over without replacing the coil ,p> problem is , heatpumps , never get hot enough to kill the microbes that ex=2ist7> on the coil , as regular furnaces do,n> ultimate solution , is ultraviolet , like sanuvox , or aprilaire-> contact your local hvac dealer for more info and pricingy> >k>r>

"JB" wrote:a> >For those who would understand the subject line should say it all. In Nor=8th- Hide quoted text -e>g> - Show quoted text -j.So as a potential first time home builder, i can expect this if i buy.a new heat pump?ew^JB, I feel you pain on repairs. In this town, all is overpriced. 10%6on construction from the next city!

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

r>"JB" wrote:a> >For those who would understan= d

I would guess a program of yearly cleaning is in order, you have mold growing somewhere. A new coil would probably get contaminated soon since the conditions still exist, maybe a consensate drain is clogged. I dont know if bleach will harm aluminum, you need to try a different tech, perhaps a UV light will help.

Reply to
ransley

Thank you. Any information on these coated coils that are supposed to be anti-contaminating. I have read that UV lights do not work. This all so frustrating. I'm actuilly considering junking this thing and going in a different direction.

I would guess a program of yearly cleaning is in order, you have mold growing somewhere. A new coil would probably get contaminated soon since the conditions still exist, maybe a consensate drain is clogged. I dont know if bleach will harm aluminum, you need to try a different tech, perhaps a UV light will help.

Reply to
JB

From the reading I have done (and consider I am just an amateur/sucker in this shell game called N. GA builder ethics) I would say do not get a heat pump. If I had this to do over I would choose a different option. I have two heatpumps. One in the main house never has had DSS but the "heat" it delivers is so pathetic that the houseis never warm when the temperature gets low. The second system is in a large additon and warms/cools it fine but I think it is becase I put interior insulation in all the walls.

As for costs, I would glady play ten percent increase if the person

1)actualy knew what he was doing 2) showed up when he said he would show up 3) finsihed the job 4) did not steal my money. I don;t want to make this poitical but after living in N.GA for 20 years I have to agree with comedian Tim Wilson that no real (construction) work gets done here by any white man. "We're covered up!" If you want something done, honestly and on time, hire a Mexican.

So as a potential first time home builder, i can expect this if i buy a new heat pump?

^JB, I feel you pain on repairs. In this town, all is overpriced. 10% on construction from the next city!

Reply to
JB

But beware using UV lights will / can destroy some plastic drain pans. Be sure your not the owner of a plastic drain pan before installing UV lights.

Reply to
Zyp

Zyp, most plastic drain pans are supposed to be UV resistant, or so the mfgs claim. What you do need to be careful about though is wiring and the inner part of flex duct, depending on where the lights are installed. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30