Angle Grinder Disks

Some angle grinder disks are intended for metal and others for stone.

Can anyone explain what the difference in the disks actually is, i.e. what property of the disk makes it suitable for either metal or stone. What are the disadvantages of using the wrong type of disk?

Is it in anyway dangerous to use the wrong type of disk? The labels on some of my used disks are none to clear.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Dunno if it's dangerous, but I do know that metal cutting discs won't work on stone. You get a hot smell and a pile of powder that was your disc starts to accumulate below your work. The obscure label problem is one I've come across myself: like I said, it's obvious when you have the wrong disc for the job.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

In general, there isn't much danger. It's a matter of cutting speed, and life. Disks designed for stone won't cut metal well, or will wear fast. The exception is 'smeary' metals like aluminium and copper - they may load up on some disks, and not actually cut at all.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Depends on the quality. For "market stall" disks, they may indeed be the same thing.

Stone is generally harder grains in a soft matrix, and these grains are harder than steel. So stone disks are an abrasive that is hard enough to cut effectively. Metals, even steel, will tend to "load up" an abrasive and so the disk must wear fast enough to expose new abrasive.

For 4 1/2" domestic grinders, there's no real risk in using the wrong one. But metal disks will cut stone poorly and wear out rapidly, stone disks on metal will clog and then cut poorly.

Personally I very rarely use metal disks these days - almost entirely flapdisks now. The blue pro-cut coated ones from CSM Abrasives are worth the extra money too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Metal disks will come in both cutting (thin) and grinding (thicker) sizes. The grinding type is essential for things like sharpening rotary mower blades, as is a light touch with the grinder. The cutting disks will just leave notches.

Stone disks last longer, a lot longer, when cutting stone than a metal disk. Although the two seem to be equal when cutting terracotta. The most difficult things to cut are concrete slabs and block paviors. The cost of disks to cut thse means it's probably better to hire a hydraulic block cutter from a hire shop.

After a recommendation here I bought some diamond disks from Lidl and they are still working well.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Steve Firth wrote;

they are still working well.

Reply to
Magician

What are flapdisks? Are you saying you use these for cutting steel? The only items that come to mind are this type of thing:

I use these instead of grinding disks, and like them lots. If you have a good alternative to metal cutting disks, I'd just *love* to hear about it!

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, those in the picture. Screwfix's "flexi disks" are handy too, if you're polishing big curves.

No. For working into corners I still use rigid abrasive disks - it's about the only thing I still use them for. I _might_ use a cutting disk, but not often.

Plasma cutter.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Fuckwit.

So what have _you_ made lately? Come on - post pictures. Put up or shut up.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Simple solution to the problem, buy a decent diamond disc for stone, and whatever metal cutting / grinding discs you need. That way there is no confusion as what disc is for what. Also having used a diamond disc for stone you will never want to go back to a conventional abrasive. The diamond discs last so long in comparison while also cutting cleaner and faster.

Reply to
John Rumm

Angle grinder discs have the cutting particles resin bonded onto a fibre re-enforced pad the particles and resin are different on stone and metal discs. As a disc is used the cutting particles break off,often seen as a fine dust, as they break away they expose the next layer of particles and so on. using the incorrect disc will cause the cutting edge to clog so reducing efficiency this will also lead to overheating which can, and does, lead to a condition known as bursting which is self explanetary, allways use the correct disc for the job in hand, if you have discs that you can't identify throw them away, i have experienced a disc disintgrate and at the speeds involved it almost puts you off using one again, i would also recommend covering up any exposed skin just incase!

Reply to
andrewd909

Ah, I see. They're a lot of fun, but I haven't saved up enough to buy a decent one yet.

Reply to
Grunff

Andy Dingley wrote;

So what have _you_ made lately? Come on - post pictures. Put up or shut up.

Reply to
Magician

Exactly !!

The difference is in the abrasive particles.

Stone cutting discs are also recommended for the cutting of aluminium

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann