Basin trap connection

I am fitting a new bathroom basin. The centre of the existing trap reaches approx 15cm from the wall but the plug hole for the new basin is approx 20cm from the wall and 5cm higher. The waste pipe is cemented into an outside wall so not easy move or replace. I think a telescopic trap might solve the 5cm height difference but what can I do about the other gap - are there traps available where the ubend bit is telescopic as well? Alternatively what about connecting to the bath waste pipe which runs along the skirting behind the basin is this allowed? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Jacob Thomas

Reply to
Jacob Thomas

There are all sorts of traps available - look at BES.ltd.uk for a good range. Screwfix & Toolstation have a narrower range, your sheds and PMs will have some ...

Sounds as if a telescopic trap plus short extension to the existing pipe should do.

Should be OK as long as the run from where you'd join the pipe to its outfall isn't too long and/or shallow, or you might get water backing up into the bath when you empty the basin.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Erm... bottle trap?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If the new basin C/L is 20cm from wall you have enough pipe to insert a straight coupling. You will probably require to cut the existing pipe slightly which is easy as its cemented into the wall. In this case the group will let you use a hacksaw. Multifit adapter is easist but push-fit is neater. If existing pipe is ABS as opposed to polyprop then solvent weld is neater still.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander