Angle grinder

Never having used one of these, is the following a case where one

*could* have been used?

Replacement conservatory construction in progress (old one small and no more than a lean-to, really). There are double-doors going out from the kitchen area into the conservatory. When the old one was demolished, these doors were locked and boarded from the inside with a large sheet of ply. So far so good.

Then the lads doing the screeding on top of the insulation they needed to know the level inside the doors so could they remove the ply and open the doors for a minute. Then it transpires that I'd also activated a shoot-bolt in the door into the floor, so needed to undo that.

Unfortunately this bolt had, during the works so far, attracted some grit and in any case I'd forgotten which way to turn it to lift it. Result, sheared off so no way to lift the bolt.

Builder comes over at 07.30 this a.m. and takes a chisel to the bottom of these doors, removes about 4 inches of wood to access the defunct shoot-bolt. So he'll have to make that good as part of the project.

Thinking about this project during the w/e, I'd thought perhaps of an angle grinder with a large (say 6") cutting disk that can do metal. Go under the door, cut through the bolt, should be done in 5 mins. Would this have been feasible or would that have been too dangerous (do those things have guards?) or a bad idea for some other reason, perhaps.

Would like to know before marking his card - thx.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes.

No.

Yes, and they work fine in that situation even if the disc does end up coming to bits because it got jammed.

No.

Just watch out he doesn?t take an angle grinder to you |-)

Reply to
Santo Brown

As to "danger" -

I cut through a hardened steel Citadel U lock, in a public car park using unguarded metal cutting discs mounted on a cordless electric drill - neither of the latter being anything to write home about in around 30 minutes*. (Key buggered)There were sparks everywhere, and I'd made up a pre-printed notice for the benefit of any suspicious passers by. Although I stopped before any approached too closely and I was never challenged.

michael adams

*regularly cooled with a couple of plant misters in jet mode

michael adams

"I'm not nicking anything, honest!"

Reply to
Adrian

Fortunately I had the key with me, which they would have been welcome to try. It fitted ok and turned but nothing happened, all of a sudden. Mind it was almost 30 years old. It had one of those barrel locks which according to numerous reports and Youtube videos could be opened with the end of a Bic Crystal ballpen. As if. My faith in Youtube videos, as with Citadel locks has never really recovered

michael adams

michael adams

That would only work IF the lock was working. If the key was turning the barrel as you suggest then something has sheared beyond the pins.

Reply to
ss

The key was buggered. Years before bits which were supposed to be joined and rigid - the barrel and teeth became loose and could be jiggled about. However providing sideways pressure could be used on the teeth - which were on the same flange as that used to turn the key - as the key was inserted, the lock would turn. And then it didn't. And I 'd mislaid the spare yonks ago.

michael adams

michael adams

Yes the large 250 mm size normally used for cutting paving slabs should be able to do this, subject to access. The standard 115 mm type would be too small. A sabre saw might be another option.

Reply to
newshound

Are these bolts likely to be hardened, or to have hardened rollers inside to stop them being sawed through? If so, this would not be an easy job.

Reply to
Roger Mills

A grinder can't cut flush with the ground, so getting under a door might not be possible unless there's a step of some kind

Reply to
stuart noble