Angle grinder!

Remember the poster who enquired about unsticking a grinder disc?

I have now acquired the appropriate T shirt!

Chopping up steel scrap with a 9" Makita, twice now I have managed to jam the retaining nut beyond reasonable undoing force. It happens when the work snatches the blade and stalls the motor but first seriously overtightens the nut.

Initial attempts to hold down the lock button while applying progressively longer levers to the key failed other than demonstrating that the lugs on the keys (I have two) are not very strong.

I then tried gripping the cutting blade in a wood vice. This also failed but by applying a 2 foot steel tube to the key I succeeded in breaking the centre out of the disc. Progress! At least the guard can now be removed. There are spanner flats on the drive shaft but very narrow and I didn't want to grind down any tools to fit.

The solution? After reading positive reports in here on 1mm cutting discs, I had recently acquired some 125mm ones.. With the Makita gripped in the vice I was able to trim out enough of the damaged disc centre to the point the release key turned the nut....

Managed to repeat the exercise the same day:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I had that happen, but not as a result of jamming the thing in a workpiece. It was just bad from new. The fact that you've ended up jammed twice indicates the thread''s damaged, unless you jammed the disc twice or overtightened the nut. On mine the nut was circular, nothing could grip it better than the 2 pin wrench that just bent when pushed. Had it been out of guarantee I'd have pursued it further, but a refund was easier. fwiw

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

Did that not over torque the screw though? It could just crack one day. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Its surprising that no one has made a pin spanner head fixed directly onto a 1/2" square drive socket. Then you could use an impact wrench/driver on it. That might have more chance of freeing a nut that was in effect tightened by an impact.

Failing that, keep a stock of the retaining nuts/discs and that way you can slice em off if they get too firmly stuck on!

Reply to
John Rumm

In message <rqa52h$omp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

The mounting shaft for grinder discs is a very robust item.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Does that mean we need 2 angle grinders each?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Good idea.

Reply to
Radio Man

The 9" Makita is a very robust tool with lots of rotating mass. Stopping the disc rotating puts all that energy into seriously overtightening the securing nut. (nut because I can't think of a more appropriate term)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Forward thinking:-)

There was some slight abrasion marking on the disc but soon linished off.

The real answer is to take care that the cut slot in the workpiece can't close and grab the disc. I was cutting rusty 18' scaffold poles on uneven ground. A simple support would have avoided the problem.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

:-) I have 4 if you count the 300mm 2 stroke.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Using your angle grinder no doubt! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Mikita with SJS?

alan_m

I think Makita now have some models using the Bosch X-Lock discs?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, you can still have a sensible number - no need to cut down to just two. :-)

Reply to
John Rumm