Andy Hall

I suspect so...I understand that Andy travelled a fair amount.

The only thing my wife doesn't have full information about is the computers and networks. But she educates people to HND level in computing (not IT) so that's lucky. That, and the logbook for each of the 12 main machines in the house, plus one for the network, contains all she needs.

I reviewed all this when I had my last^H^H^H^H most recent cancer diagnosis last January. Nothing serious (so far) but made me stop and think!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh dear, I am gutted at that. We should have realised it would take a lot more than another of Andy's epic jaunts around Europe, the far east, S. Africa or America to keep him away from here for more than a few days.

I first met Andy in the early 80's, when he was commissioning a fancy new piece of microprocessor development kit for us in British Aerospace, before his career really took off. This kit ran the (then) mysterious Unix system, and Andy took extra time out to teach me the basics of it - he was clearly an expert in Unix and comms even then - and I owe him a lot for getting me started in Unix and its offshoots. He moved on to the more esoteric technologies that now keep the web in good shape, and we lost touch until meeting up again in cyberspace, courtesy of uk.d-i-y, and then in person at that DIY meet in London in 2001. I met him again a couple of times at the 2004 meets in Exeter, where he recommended the hotel he was staying at - I guessed then it was not going to be cheap, but as in all things Andy did, it was the quality that mattered, not the cost*. That's not to say he was a snob, far from it, Andy was as comfortable as the rest of us supping ale (so long as it was a good one!) in any pub, along with a bar meal. He never once mentioned he was a Technical Director, nor indeed what his job was, and in discussions on here never pulled rank, relying on logic and his knowledge in a very wide range of topics to fire his many debates.

Andy's death is a very sad loss, and though I only met him a few times he was a genuinely *NICE GUY*, and as others have said, a gentleman in the real sense. I am proud to count myself amongst those that have received much helpful advice from him, both as direct answers and from his host of helpful responses to others. My usenet filters have for years been set up to capture posts authored by "Andy Hall".

I will miss posts ending with ".andy". Please add me to the condolense card list (if there is room!).

*Yes, it was expensive, but a damn good hotel.

Phil

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

So long MrHall,him up stairs doesn't do arguments. ;-)

Reply to
George

I suspect you can be forgiven from all on uk d-i-y for getting the days wrong on Andy's demise. :-(

Reply to
George

I've no doubt your wife has probably documented how to use the Microwave,Washing machine,Cooker ect... they do that women because they care.

Reply to
George

If any of it's the wrong colour, or has trailing wires, it would7y be disposed of and replaced with ornaments.

, internet banking arrangements, etc. etc.

All encrypted on my wife's usb stick. If she emptied her handbag(s) I'm sure she'd be able to find it and remember where to plug it in.

Reply to
stuart noble

What actually was his job, out of interest?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Guarantee?? He would simply point out that under the Sale and Supply of Bodies Act 4,500BC said body is required to conform to ISO00001 (male) or ISO00002 (female) and should meet or exceed the standards contained therein. As it is inconceivable that he of all people would have accepted an Aldi, B&Q, reworked or badge engineered body there was obviously a failure of the quality or stock control system and heaven help whoever was responsible for that.

Reply to
Peter Parry

8-(.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

He worked for a company which develops software to monitor the performance of large/complex IP networks and identify problems. I talked with him once or twice about this, but he also never mentioned to me he was the Technical Director. Unfortunately, he never mentioned the company name either, but armed with what I did know, I managed to track it down on the web. It was by contacting them that I learned what had happened to Andy (after having failed to contact him by various other means for a week or so). I included a link to his company in the original article, which you can strip back to get to their homepage.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And Andy didn't seem to be the sort of person to leave a system undocumented.

I'm sure everything will be documented.

Comprehensively documented.

Down to the ISO certificates and manufacturers' guarantees for the cable ties.

It's a damn waste him being taken from us so early, that shed of his had years of life in it. ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's a shock and I'll miss his posts.

My condolences to his family and especially his parents, I hope I don't suffer the grief of losing a child.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Yes, of course! I did - in my opening remarks - refer to "wives/partners", the second of whom can be of either sex! Many contributors to this NG are of the female gender, and may well be more technical than their other halves, and my comments apply equally to them - but were worded the way they were because Andy was clearly a man. So, if *you* get run over by a bus, how will Spouse cope with the finance and with the computer? Have you put anything in place?

I was certainly not making assumptions - but was simply asking whether people had thought about the subject. It is a potential problem with any couple when any activity on which they both depend is performed exclusively by one partner. My wife has a voluntary job which brings her into contact with recently bereaved people - and frequently encounters a surviving partner who hasn't a clue how to do various things because the deceased always did them!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Please... have some respect for the circumstances of this thread. There is no reason assume each partner should be able to duplicate all the functions of the other - how boring that would be.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Says the woman who was incapable of googling the most obvious of things

Reply to
geoff

Technical Director, Europe, Middle East and Africa with Packet Design.

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

Oh I'm made him watch me and made him do it and written things down - he simply doesn't want to know. When I was diagnosed with cancer I insisted on showing him my filing system (which is self explanatory) and he said it wouldn't be necessary. When he was diagnosed with cancer I insisted on his writing instructions for some of he complicated systems he's devised for parts of the house. He thinks I'm being unnecessarily precise. I sometimes despair.

I'm sorry if I misread what you said, mine was, I admit, an unconsidered reaction.

Someone I knew was PROUD that her husband did 'all that' - it's what men were for. When he died - after a very long illness during which he had to give power of attorney to a friend - she had absolutely no idea even how to write a cheque.

My personal unhappiness was that he relied on me to drive him all round the country to various events and appointments. She'd passed her test many years before but he wouldn't allow her to drive, it was his job, women shouldn't drive. Can you imagine how I felt? Don't need to answer ...

She didn't last long ... and yet she wasn't an unintelligent woman.

Again, I apologise if I've reacted unfairly.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh come on!

What if, like me, she didn't have a handbag?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thank you for that diligence.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just a simple set of thoughts:

  1. His advice was always honest. There was never self-interest in it.

  1. His advice was usually correct. Yes, there were arguments but on balance he was always the most sensible contributor to this site.

  2. I brought up my kids with a few messages. One of which was that the sort of people who mended and fixed things were better than those who wrecked things. My lads install things in their homes, are engaged in useful practical jobs and are happy. Sort of "Andy" people, perhaps.

Thanks Andy

My big regret is that I have to say thank-you this way......

Tim Brook

Reply to
naffer