Andy Hall - tribute comments

I wrapped the comments together into a little booklet, and got it proof-read by a couple of non-Usenet/non-Internet people to make sure there was no scope for offence or misunderstanding when read by someone outside this environment (changed just a couple of words just to be sure - hope the authors don't mind).

A colleague has just brought round a nicely printed off a copy for me which I'll send to the family.

I will upload (when Demon's web uploading stops hanging)...

Version for screen viewing:

for double-sided booklet printing:

Andrew Gabriel

They are there now. (Wasn't Demon for once - it was a broken cable at home.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thank you for doing that. I'd be surprised if that doesn't get a few more tears shed by his family.

Reply to
Rod

(never thought I would hear myself complain about this ;-) - but you missed off dribble, who has just resurfaced at the end of the original thread)

Reply to
John Rumm

Seconded. Thank you, Andy.

Reply to
Bruce

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

Very fitting and nicely done.

Thanks Andrew.

Reply to
Tim S

It may be of some import to his family to know that he had influenced strangers to comment on his passing.

Reply to
EricP

I just noticed. The thread went quiet for a long time so I thought it was done. I'll add in the further comments at some point (might be next weekend - looks like I'm going to be very busy this week). If I can find out where his parents are, I'll do one for them too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes - I was quite taken aback by that post and had exactly the same thought

A good compilation

I can put it up as a permanent memorial on uk-diy.org if you think it would be fitting

Reply to
geoff

It got _me_ all weepy, and I only knew him from uk.d-i-y

Reply to
S Viemeister

I'm sure Andy would have pointed out that there's no chance of finding out who Dribble's parents are. Even Dribble doesn't know.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Andrew

My brief contribution is attributed to Anon - could you put my name/sig to it please.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think that would be a good idea. However, leave it until I've done another update to include further comments made.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

and ?

Reply to
geoff

Oops, will do. Sorry about that. I wonder how many others I've managed to mix up the attributions for? :-(

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've been wondering if we could institute some form of annual award or whatever to keep his memory alive? I haven't any definite thoughts - just something I think could be a nice gesture.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

While on the minor tweaks, feel free to include my real email address which you left off on my comment.

Reply to
John Rumm

Munged or not? Since it's likely to be online somewhere, I left munging in where it had been used (and I wasn't sure I could reliably have removed it all in any case).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And has proved himself a gentleman after all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman