Andy Hall - tribute comments

Nice idea, will either you or andrew do it?

Phil

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Thanks Andrew, nice job.

Phil

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Another achievement for .andy!

Good idea, and on diyfaq.org.uk too

Phil

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Couple of proofing points: the screen version (at least) has ASCII smileys rendered as ghastly weeny graphics characters. Not at all in keeping with uk.d-i-y's 7-bit ethos!

And in the copy of my post you've out left a bit of text (about Andy's ding-dongs with Drivel) which makes even less sense of my own drivel :-/

Reply to
John Stumbles

If you can suggest a generally available font with smiles, I'll try that. I already changed them once (the original font didn't display them under Windows at all - the current one displays fine on my copy of Windows, and prints properly on professional printers). Leaving them as the original characters means nothing to a non-Usenet user, and without the sense of expression they imply, several of the sentenances have the wrong meaning.

Didn't seem appropriate in the circumstances?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Very sad to see the *post activity* record cease in August.

My wife is always planning what wording to put on my tombstone but I guess searchable records are what most of us will leave behind.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

NT

Reply to
meow2222

OK, I have done alt.support.sleep-disorder and alt.support.diabetes.uk as they seemed like the next most heavily used groups.

Reply to
John Rumm

Also an HTML version

Andrew Gabriel

Reply to
S Viemeister

your site security sucks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't think I care, but in what way? Because you can browse the directory?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

to, there are more people who would like to add their comments. I have asked them to post to the original Andy Hall thread here, but in case they don't, it might be worth mopping up some from the "Sad News" posts I placed on alt.support.diabetes.uk and a.s.sleep-disorder.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, this is the set I sent off, earlier today. That's not to say we can't carry on collecting more comments though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes. Generally not a good idea.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Steve Firth coughed up some electrons that declared:

I disagree. Readable *scripts* would be more generally a bad idea, but I fail to see how browsing a web directory is bad in the *general case* (specific cases may warrent it).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

You're allowed to be wrong.

It's not a good principle in general to allow people to see any documents other than the ones that you actually want them to see.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed. But if I'm aware that they can see the contents of a directory and allow it to be browsable is there any specific vulnerability connected with doing so? Usually if I don't want people to browse a dir I put an index.html file in there. I do detest wibbles that winge 'directory listing denied' at you if you chop off the last part of a path to try to get somewhere more general: if they want to guide where you go FFS put a page there that helps you do that.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Steve Firth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Steve - your hatter called; says he's run out of material

Depends if you're in the habit of leaving sensitive junk lying around. I don't. I do my security at directory level (much easier to drop a .htaccess into a sensitive directory, or a directory whose main purpose is to have server-executable content.)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S