Anyone got any ideas for stiffening 300 micron acetate sheet?

I've made bookshelf label holders from thin acetate sheet by cutting out a 7cm x 5cm piece, then lightly scoring and bending it to fit over a standard 19mm shelf.

It works okay-ish as a bookshelf label holder, but it's not "springy" like a real clip would be. Unfortunately, I have ~never~ found suitable transparent clips/holders, which is why I make my own from acetate sheet. (Okay, so there are these:

but (a) they're ruddy expensive and (b) they are too wide, meaning I'd have to cut them into shorter pieces, probably with a fair bit of wastage.)

Previously, I used transparent glue dots to fix my holders' "flaps" to the over- and undersides of the shelf. These can't be seen unless one looks really closely. But the downside is that you have to painstakingly remove the glue dot residue from the shelf surface if you want to move a holder.

So how might I make the bent acetate sheet stiffer? I tried with a hot glue gun along the bend lines (after bending to a square profile), but you can see the glue. However, the principle works! The resultant holder is noticeably stiffer with enough "spring" to keep it in place on the shelf without glue dots.

Chemicals? Vinegar? Salt solution? Something to spray on the holders after bending, perhaps? Surely something must exist to make the plastic more brittle? Obviously the clear transparency of acetate needs to be preserved as much as possible.

Here is a picture of my holders, one in position on a pseudo bookshelf. The glue dots are visible in the pic, but not so much when you're in the room where the bookshelves are.

Note that I have 70+ categories, so that's a lot of label holders!

Cheers!

MM

Reply to
MM

I think it would be difficult to change the properties, surely the normal approach would be to make the bends sharper than 90 degrees so that you have some built-in "spring". Or use slightly thicker sheet.

Reply to
newshound

A different approach - a brother label machine and 18mm wide sticky white tape?

Reply to
alan_m

You could buy acrylic sheet & make those, but the thickness won't do the books any favours.

You can't, other than by using thicker sheet. But it turns out further down that stiffer isn't what you need. No jokes please.

When you score & bend it cold, its springiness wants to open it out again. If you bend it hot that won't happen, and Robert should be your uncle. So you need a hot wire.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Umm.. Double sided carpet tape might be simpler than glue spots.

On the *heat the score* suggestion... many years ago, I purchased a device for sealing plastic packets. Actually an under powered soldering iron with a tapered *elephants trunk* bit. Took a bit of practice to get the contact time right.

I know controlled temperature soldering irons are available and wonder if a low setting might do a similar job.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No, I don't want the labels/holders to be permanently fixed in one place.

MM

Reply to
MM

IME Brother labels can be removed and replaced an infinite number of times. We use them for labeling items in the freezer and they will stay on the dish even when it goes through the dishwasher. They then can be removed and stored on a plastic sheet before being reused. I'm amazed at the way in which they retain their stick qualities. I don't know any other label like it. Just don't stick them to cling film, this destroys the label and the film.

Reply to
Capitol

Ah, I didn't know that!

Thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

pop into a supermarket and have a look at the way they label items on their shelves, and then try to obtain the necessary items.

Reply to
critcher

try this

critcher

No, none of those products is in any way what I'm looking for. This is what I want:

but in thicker, springier plastic that clips over the wooden edge without needing to use glue dots.

MM

Reply to
MM

I followed your and alan_m's advice and bought a Brother PT-D450VP from Printer Base for £34.80 including free next-day delivery, and I'm so glad I did! The labelling machine arrived today in a carrying case with a 4m sample black-on-white low-tack 18mm specimen tape, power supply, USB cable and instruction booklet.

I stuck 6 AA batteries in and connected the power supply (Brother recommends batteries to retain settings even if the power supply is used). I inserted the tape cassette and switched on. Printing off my first label was a doddle! And it looks REALLY smart on the edge of the bookshelf. The 18mm width just looks "right" somehow, since the shelf thickness is about 19mm.

So many thanks for your suggestions! Oh, and I left my first test label in place on the bookshelf for a couple of hours, then test-peeled it off. Came off very smoothly. It even stuck firmly to another shelf!

I am very pleased with this little printer. Apparently there's software one can download for Windows 7/8, but I don't yet know what that will give me that I can't already do. For example, I printed off a second label, but adjusted the font size to 24pt, as the default "Auto" size is a bit on the large size and fills the 18mm width. That worked dead easy, too.

My only gripe is that the text in the instruction booklet is so tiny I have to use a magnifying glass to read it! Maybe the Brother web site has the same booklet in PDF format that I can print off. I'll check later.

So, cheers, everybody. Great help.

Oh, and the icing on the cake: This printer is eligible throughout June for a £15 cashback direct from Brother, meaning I've only actually paid £19.80 in total. By the way, this printer was way cheaper than Amazon, who were asking another £4.15, although also with free delivery. On the Brother web site this model is retailing for £107.99 inc VAT.

MM

Reply to
MM

I've found the 'compatible' tapes available on Ebay work perfectly in my machine and much cheaper than the Brother branded tapes.

Black text on a fluorescent yellow or green background could be an alternative to your back on white scheme.

Reply to
alan_m

I should point out that I tend to stick the labels on and don't remove them for years so I have no experience of what may be a low-tack option.

On major purchases I stick a label on with the purchase date - sometimes I see the label and am surprised how long ago I bought it. On items such as the alarm a label with the date of the battery change is attached.

Reply to
alan_m

They aren't transparent, and it will depend on the thickness of your shelves, but I've found a length of PVC mini-trunking clips nicely onto the edge of MFC kitchen units.

You could make something like this

out of laminator pouches with one fold in, they wouldn't have to be springy to grip the shelves.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

But are they low tack like the Brother ones?

Well, not on my bookshelves, where I prefer 'sedate' black on white, but when I read that different colour tapes are available I'm sure there is plenty of stuff in the garage and around the house that could be labelled.

Have you had any experience with the Windows 7 application from Brother? I skimmed the online PDF manual about it and it looks as if one can bypass the actual labeller and do everything from Windows. But whether that is an advantage or not, I don't know. And what if Windows

7 is currently not fired up? My labeller would work standalone, even on batteries.

By the way, I started out on the road to neater labelling 40 years ago when I bought my first sheets of Letraset! Goodness, how that takes me back!

MM

Reply to
MM

Oddly they were still available last time I looked. White parcel tape works as a dry wipe label, good for nondecorative storage.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr