One for Andy Hall :-)

Hi All

With the recent discussion about power tools, I read an interesting review of lightweight routers today in good woodworking magazine.

The Trend T3 was the recommended product at £41, but the Ferm FBF-6E was quoted as being amazing value at £25.

The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not similar - absolutely identical in appearance, specification, everything. No doubt that they are made in the same factory.

Why does one sell for 40% more than the other? Brand name.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

If your thinking of buying one of either routers have a good think, because

550W is really only suitable for very light work and the B&D version is 850W and is identical and probably in the same class price as the FERM?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's a whoosh!, then.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's possible one make uses tighter production tolerances. Ie, checked to be fully up to spec. The other - sort of seconds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Brand name always charges a premium whatever anyone says. Just look at the DeWalt range of toolbelts and workbags. I don't doubt it may be good quality but it's still sold at a premium simply cos of the name on it.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Products sell for what people will pay for them, which often bears no resemblence to how much they cost to manufacture.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Aha, identical but different. Well done!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chrsi, you will get used to the senility.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thank you. Perhaps you will join me in a nice game of dominoes!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Or to what they are actually worth.....

Henry

Reply to
Henry

It's certainly the case with car tyres. Check out a new car with brand X tyres and see if there are balancing weights. There won't be. Buy the same brand afterwards and fit them to the same car and they'll need balancing.

Get the point?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What point. If two items are identical, they are the same.

I'm afraid that your interesting (although pointless) remark about new cars and wheel balance weights is complete rubbish.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I think that you could well be putting two and two together and arriving at five.

The products could quite easily have the same electrical specs and exterior appearance, but be made with different internal components and to a different QA level.

We know that an 1800W PPPoo router has crappy motor performance, so specs are highly questionable anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Anything is worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for it. If you have no use for something, or don't like it for some reason, then it will be worth less *to you* than it is to someone who does have a use for it or likes it a lot - value is subjective.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck & quacks like a duck ................ it's a duck!!

Dave

Reply to
david lang

But the items ain't identical. They have different badges if nothing else. And unless you've done a full production engineering assessment of both you can't say for sure they're otherwise identical.

It was just to illustrate the point that products which look identical may not be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or Dr Drivel.

Dave

Reply to
Dave P

Going back to this, various people have mentioned that they may not be identical (the badges aren't, which I feel is prevaricating). How do you/"Good Woodworking" know they are identical?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Good Woodworking - who Trend regularly advertise with - are noteably cautious. They only say that the baseplate will accept all theTrend guide bushes and accessories.

Technical spec is identical. Speeds, plunge depth, wattage, weight etc.

However, there are good quality large colour photos of both machines. The body moulding, switch, cable entry, knobs, depth turret, base, plunge columns, collet, wing nuts - every single detail is identical.

If it looks like a duck ...........

Quack, quack........

Dave

Reply to