Electric Meter Re-location

Hello, I am looking to relocate our electricity meter to an exterior box and have a sub-main run to the fusebox. Does this work have to be done by the utility company or can an electrician do it? I imagine both will have to be involved meaning maximum expense for me! Thanks, Ian Perthshire

Reply to
ianw

That'll be an electricco job. I would have thought they'd do the whole task though, unless your fusebox (consumer unit) is an exceptionally long way from the proposed exterior box. They'll stipulate their requirements; eg you might need to get any building-type work done separately?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I remember someone reporting having this done outside the electrico loop in the past. I raised an eyebrow at the time but it made sense as it was explained that during building works a meter might have to move temporarily then be moved back. IIRC the sequence was for the contractor to send a notification of works to the supply company then wait 2 weeks for screams from them, then carry out the works and re-notify the supply company that they can reseal the meter. In this instance the temporary move of the meter for building works just happens to occur on the same day as the move to the new meter box ;-).

A google might find the article concerned, probably from a couple of years back.

Reply to
fred

We did this.

Relocated it all ourselves..electrico came and inspected, ticked, resealed and said 'tsk tsk, but its fine now',,BUT they had to pull the

100A fuse on the main trasnformer circuit to allow us to do it 'not live' and put it back afterwards..so unless yiou want to work on a live setup, you may need to do the same. 2 meters from meter to CU is all you are allowed as well.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wanted mine moved and trying to find the correct company to do it took

2 hours on the phone and in the end nobody would do it as the move was only a matter of inches it wasn't a big enough job for the electricity board but to big for powergens contractors (couldn't even pay anybody). Gave up in the end and will find a sparky to do it. Apparently the only come back is if your power supplier finds out and decides to prosecute. But as they can't answer the phone I don't they will come and have a look.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

YGM

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Ta, I have the benefit of a separate board fuse which I can pull myself. I need to move it 5m but will be putting in a fused sub main.

Reply to
fred