Wireless tyre pressure monitoring?

Does anyone out there have any experience of wireless tyre pressure monitoring devices - the sort which have special valves containing a sensor, and a central display with LEDs and a bleeper and report status?
Yesterday, I wrote off an otherwise perfectly good 225/45x17 tyre because I had apparently been driving it flat for a while without noticing.
In days of yore I could always tell by the seat of my pants if a tyre was a bit flat. But many modern cars are grossly over-tyred, with very wide low profile tyres which *look* flat when they're not, and don't really *feel* any different when they are.
At £100 a throw, you don't have to write off too many tyres before a monitoring system would be cheaper.
Any comments or recommendations?
TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Roger Mills wrote:

How about manuall checking your tyre pressures weekly, at the same time as you make all your other routine checks?
You do make routine checks don't you?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:31:08 +0100, "Brimstone"

Must be "very" low profile if you can't tell the difference when it's flat .
Add pictures here
βœ–
In uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Depends on the car, a flat at the rear of a 'proper' CitroΓ«n with LHM suspension is really quite difficult to detect unless/until you take some corners fast.
--
Chris Green

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Yes, when I had a flat on my Xantia, on the motorway at maybe slightly more than 70, I didn't notice until I smelt burning rubber :-) I'm old enough to remember the Citroen GS ad where they blew a tyre out when it was in between two trucks at speed :-)
Mike P
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's the easy option, centrifugal force keeps the tyre round even without the air when you are driving fast. It would have been fun to see them do it on a curved bit.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The shower of sparks from the rims should be a good clue !! Brad
Add pictures here
βœ–
BRAD wrote:

I did manage to drive a Astra est for 5 miles or so round country roads and I could not make out what was causing a increase in road noise,the car handled fine that was my first ever puncture and it continued to run on the rubber rather than the wheel rim, when it was repaired the puncture was caused by a horse shoe that went right through the tyre much to the amusement of the kwikfit fitter
--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Was the horse hurt?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hawk aye the noo wrote:

not that I noticed :-) he might have had a limp though
--
Kevin R
Reply address works

You don't get a shower of sparks from and alloy wheel. You might from a shredded steel reinforced tyre.

--
Clint Sharp

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11 Sep, 10:45, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The rear Bridgestone tyre on my Honda (also 45 profile) didn't look flat but had no pressure at all. The sidewalls on some tyres are so thick it can be hard to tell.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Don't be daft.
--
Conor

βœ–

Yes, I do make frequent visual checks - and occasional checks with a pressure gauge (plus under-bonnet checks), but - as others have pointed out - if you pick up a nail and a tyre starts to deflate while on a journey, weekly checks ain't going to help.
Do you have anything *useful* to contribute?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Roger Mills wrote:

Renault fit them to several cars, kwikfit sometimes forget and rip the heads off them, as these are £30 ish each it pleases the manager no end as it come out of his profits, but you do have to tell the computer which sensor is on which wheel somehow
--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Unfortunately routine checks don't cover all eventualities. Does anyone visually check all 4 tyres every time they use their car?
I can sympathise with the OP as I wrote off a 255x40x17 tyre in a similar way. At low speeds, on a straight road, it's very difficult to detect a flat low profile rear tyre.
In my case it was the n/s rear tyre. Fine in the morning. Jumped in and drove about 300 yds straight up the road on my way home. Realised something was not quite right, so stopped and found the flat tyre. Changed it for the spare, but the damage was done. With the weight of the car on the fold in the tyre, the carcass had started to delaminate.
The only consolation, if you can call it that, is that the tyre would have been scrap anyway, as a the puncture which had caused it to deflate during the day was an unrepairable one on the shoulder.
I checked and decided against the option of tyre monitors. Aftermarket ones rely on wireless dust caps, which are too easily nicked. I just check the tyres a bit more frequently than I did before. Mike.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You can get sensors integrated into the valve stem that sit inside the tyre and you can buy sensors that mount around the centre of the rim with a steel band (bit like a big hose clip) but they cost a bit more.
Remember to tell the tyre fitters that you have the system as the sensors have a nasty habit of ending up in the bin or smashed.
These look similar to the systems fitted by some car manufacturers;
http://www.ambromley.co.uk/tyre-pressure-monitor.html
No connection to the company just the first Google hit that matched what I was looking for.

--
Clint Sharp

Add pictures here
βœ–

*waves*
Yeah I do. Old military habit. Pressures and tread depth is checked around every 2,500 miles, more frequently for new tyres.

It is. Fortunately, this car has the lowest profile tyre I've yet owned, which is only a 215/55/16, so it still looks like a tyre.

...and are of course unproven in any application until you've had them for a while, too.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
DervMan wrote:

I fitted a set of those valve caps that show a red strip when the pressure drops. They were just under £10 for the set and work a treat. When I first got them I kept a check on them with a digital pressure guage - but I'm now happy that they work accurately and a quick visual check when washing the car is all that's needed. I've had them on for over a year now and they haven't been nicked yet.
Ret.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:02:39 -0000, Ret. <xxx> wrote:

Wouldn't work here - I have never washed a car. Why wash something which will get dirty next time you use it?
--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com