Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems

Have any of you bought the system currently on offer from Maplin? http://www.maplin.co.uk/wireless-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-390208
If so, what are your experiences of it?
It is quite a lot cheaper - and seemingly easier to install - than systems using sensors *inside* the tyre. But it seems to me that it may have several downsides, so I'm wondering whether these are real or not:
1. It presumably has to keep the valve pin depressed in order to 'feel' the pressure and thus relies on sealing on the thread. Does this result in loss of pressure?
2. Because the sensors are external, they could potentially be nicked. There is apparently some security device to prevent the sensors from being unscrewed. How does it work, and how secure is it?
3. Each sensor weighs 15 grams and could potentially unbalance the wheel. As far as I can make out, wheel balancing seems to be carried out to a tolerance of about 5 grams - so 15 grams may be significant. Is it necessary to have the wheels re-balanced after fitting the sensors?
Any general comments on accuracy, reliability, ease of use, etc.?
TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Roger Mills wrote:

I know if tyre pressures are 'not right' by the way the car handles..

Likewise, followed by a visual inspection which generally brings out the little compressore that plugs into the car's power socket

Bollocks.
With fuel at the price it is, I want to be a _lot_ more precise about keeping pressures correct than just to the point where I can feel the difference, especially for a car I'm only driving everyday down an everyday commuter road.
Andy Dingley wrote:

So? use a tyre pressure gauge and pump them up regularly.
IF you are losing pressure, you still need the time to pump them.
And IF you are losing pressure, you shouldn't be running a tyre fior any length of time. Tyres do not magically lose pressure.
There is always a reason - leaking valve or puncture.
And either of those will rapidly lead to a situation where you KNOW there is something wrong.
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 13:35:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Define "rapidly". One of my rears would loose about 2psi a month, enough to become noticeable. I just kept pumping it up, don't know if it was a leaky valve or a poor seal onto the rim. Not worth bothering about. Stopped when the tyre and valve was changed.
These days I get more variation in tyre pressure due to the ambient temperature. Several psi between freezing and 15C.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Lose, dear, not loose.

I bet you didnt need a radio gauge to notice..
I just kept pumping it up, don't know if

a valve change is peanuts and a bit of spiitle over the valve is easy.

Exactly.
Tyre pressures are, anyway, a compromise between handling, wear rate, fuel economy and comfort.
There is no magic 'correct' pressure.
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 14:25:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

That's one of my worms that I trouble with. I do try and get it right, honest.

Correct.
What gets me is why they change the whole valve stem everytime you get a new tyre fitted. The old one is almost certainly working perfectly well and with a good non-leaky typre has propbably only been disturbed by and airline or guage a few dozen times if that.

Aye, and the makers book pressures are known to be "incorrect". They recommend 28psi on the front of my car, if you use that the handling is a bit soggy and you get the classic under inflation wear pattern (both edges faster than the middle). Use 30psi and you get dead level wear and better handling.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Customer gullibility :-? They buy them for 10p and charge 1.50 for them.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

I did have a valve fall off whilst crossing St Georges bridge in Doncaster.
Apologies to the 3000 people that were late for work that morning caused by the hold up whilst I swapped the wheel.
--
Adam

How did it fail? "Fall off" sounds funny for something that's pulled through from the inside.
Previous abuse? Sabotage (ex g/f)?

Now I know why you don't have signage on your van :-)
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

The valve had literally split where it entered the wheel and the external part was missing.
I had done 25 miles that morning without problem and within a few metres of joining the bridge I thought "oh shit".

Probably just bad luck. I had not had the van long.

I was recognised. Two of the bastards that were going in the other direction phoned me up to laugh at me and offer help (you can do both).
--
Adam

ARWadsworth wrote:

Like the time I was hammering my spitfire round the lanes and thought 'Hmm steerings a bit stiffer than usual and hammered it home..'
It sheared the ungreased kingpin doing 7mph in front of the police station the next day...

Nasty, you think steel core, what's going to touch that but it's not going to stop a split in the rubber and of course they do remove them by pulling them through from the outside.

"I'd love to help but you'll have it fixed by the time I get through the traffic jam" <?>
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks
fred wrote:

After slicing the wider part off on the inside, surely?
Andy Burns wrote:

Not always. Most of the times I've watched them, they just screw the removal tool on and lever away.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson wrote:

Must be the backstreet place I use then, they always seem to have a "knife" fashioned from a sharpened hacksaw blade with an insulation tape handle, then yank 'em out with pliers

It's a while since I paid any attention but I thought they just pulled them out (from the outside) with a tire fitters' tool, combined high leverage pliers and hammer for tapping on weights (if not using stick ons), no cutting. Old memories are of valve being ripped out to get rapid deflation before breaking the bead. Maybe bead breakers were weedier then and needed the tyre deflated before popping the bead.
Last time my (local, small, trusted) guy left the valve in-situ and popped the bead w/o deflating. Valve was fine so we left it.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks
On Jul 6, 5:27pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

Apparently my father once had the steering wheel come off.
Owain

Adam