American toilets

Have you heard the John Cleese voice that goes with TomTom Navigator?

On approaching a motorway exit (half mile), he goes on about how it's

800m these days because of "that little bastard, Napoleon"
Reply to
Andy Hall

Dunno.

I know what it gets spent on ...

Buying votes with benefits (Turkeys don't vote for Christmas).

Right-on, 60's hippy-esque harebrained PC schemes to pacify Old Lab.

Incompetance, such as the various state IT fiascos (watch out for news about ISOFT and Accenture before the end of the week.) This list is not by any means exclusive.

DG

Perhaps you could do without the

Reply to
Derek ^

Funilly enough, me too. In fact, I was so intruiged that I partially dismantled the cistern in my hotel bedroom to try to work it out. Unfortunately I didn't go prepared with any tools so I didn't get far (probably a good job really) Inside the cistern there was soem sort of pressure vessel though. The cistern appeared to push a very high powered jet of water from the front of the bowl to the rear, pushing the contents of the bowl out through a very small hole. It certainly used very little water and seemed very effective. I wouldn't have one in my house though for the simple reason that they are *very* noisy. (Especially at 3am)

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

I've no idea about that but hands dry without artificial aids ... I don't use hot air or paper on environmental grounds.

Why is hot air unsanitary and why doesn't it work?

I suspect that those who have them installed use terry towels at home. They could be said to be unsanitary which wouldn't really matter in a domestic situation but it would in a service station if lots of people used them.

A couple of years ago I went to the lav in the Savoy in London. It was very swish and warm, dry, unnecessarily large, white towels were given to each person. They were then dumped in baskets for laundering. Luxurious but wasteful.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There are still dogs in the government? Actually a scan around Downing St confirms this. CFL bulb subsidies and compulsions as well.

Didn't see that. Have Wankcenture done it again? They will need to bring in McKinsey now to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Apparently the next project is a wind farm.... They are good at those.

Tiger Woods must be being paid a lot of money to put his name to all this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It was to conceal the humunguous scale of taxation we pay nowadays.

If you and I were both VAT registered artisans employed by our own companies, I would pay income tax and VAT, you would pay income tax and VAT. If I were to spend a day working on a private project on your house (say) for you @ £400 inc VAT that would yield a marginal income of £400 -£60 (vat) - £80 (both NI's) - £112 (Higher rate tax) = £148.

Now if I had spent the £148 remaining out of the £400 you gave me on motor fuel I would have got (say) 30 quids worth of fuel all the rest = £370 being tax.

Now :-)) since your finances are identical to mine to get the £400 that you paid to me in spendable cash you would have had to bill out £400x400/180 = £888.88 to your customers just to pay me enough money to buy 30 quids worth of poxy diesel in my sorry heap.

:-(

Tha above analysis is not rigorous, I don't have access to or understand tax/NI tables. However it also omits most of the nickel and dimeing taxes. Company car tax, taxes on notional benefits in kind, such as private use of a works phone, computer, travel insurance etc. GB created a tax incentive for firms to buy PC's for employees, now he proposes taxing the employee on the benefit in kind on them. Shysters. No other word for it.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Would

How are hot air hand dryers unsanitary?

Reply to
Jerry

Ah those things. Holiday Inns have them. One reason I avoid Holiday Inns.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I also suspect that you have the time to allow your hands to dry in the breeze, unlike most. Also wet hand are very unhealthy to some, such as those who suffer from arthritis or when the outside air / wind chill temperature is near or below freezing.

Reply to
Jerry

Luxurious and wonderful. How life should be.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So you will not be claiming your state pension, you do not use the highways or public paths, you have and never will use the services of the NHS, the Police, Fire, Military or Governmental service - but there again, perhaps you are just one of the hypocrites?...

Reply to
Jerry

That's being kind. When you consider the way that the money is incompetently spent, it is thievery.

Anybody who feels he needs self promotion by publishing pictures of the wife and kids in order to convince a stupid public that he has a human face is not to be trusted.

Reply to
Andy Hall

proportion

Why not just shot anyone who earn under 100.000 K a year?

Reply to
Jerry

Yes, your type are, and ignorant to boot...

Reply to
Jerry

{...]

They figured extensively (20 mins or so) in todays 13-00 news on R4.

Unfortunatel I missed the first 30 secs and annoyingly none of the +/- six following contibutions said what the news item actually was, and it couldn't be deduced from the editorial.

here's what it says on the BBC R4 website.

long and short of it is that iSOFT has to declare financial results by the end on this week and they cannot be anything but very bloody.

The project atarted off at 2 Billion, overan to 6 Billion, is now standing at 14 Billion with Health authorities having to contribute local end costs bringing it up to 30 Billion, and the computer industry press reckonsit will ultimately end up around 50 billion if it gets to completion at all.

And Hansen still asks us what we think our VAT goes to pay for.

We know what it goes to pay for.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

That's another option.

Reply to
Andy Hall

?

Service station toilets are usually at the far end of the site, the air is warm and hands are dry before you get outside.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They don't like it up 'em do they.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Absolutely but watch how this gets packaged up to turn it into success for the management consultants. Remember that these are people who make decisions for those incapable of doing so for themselves and then as soon as it goes wrong, which it always does, are able to slippery shoulder it onto something faceless and unidentifiable.

Windmill projects.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ignore him folks, he's got shares in iSOFT.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^