Alarm

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:35:30 +0100, Colin Wilson strung together this:

Yes they do, gives you better entry\exit options and means internal PIR's can be immediate zones rather than timed.

Reply to
Lurch

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:22:18 +0100, Alan strung together this:

Well, you're not meant to position PIRs facing sources of sunlight, like outer doors and windows in any room.

Reply to
Lurch

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:49:44 +0100, "Ed" strung together this:

Reasonably, around the £5-600 mark. You can get one fitted cheaper, but I wouldn't recommend shopping on price when it comes to alarms.

Reply to
Lurch

I didn't realise IMM had gone into the security business, when did this happen?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Errr, wrong again. The best place for a PIR in any room is in the corner above the door - LOOKING AT THE WINDOW!!!.

The other reason is that you cannot accidentally block it's view of the room with furniture etc.

Reply to
PJ

Not so much picking but as a security systems engineer of 25 years standing it does my head in when people give s**te suggestions on one of the most important subjects - home security. AND let me tell you this, each and every alarm is wired differently. No two are ever the same. Unless of course a whole estate is first fixed as part of the build. And as for people being able to bypass YOUR system... a simple voltmeter and a pair of cutters and almost anyone with an ounce of electrical knowledge could bypass it, unless it's an iD system. Is it an iD system??! Or perhaps you bought it in B&Q?! Or perhaps you made your own relay interface and have pressure mats just like the other prick here who "knows it all".

Reply to
PJ

And while we're on the subject, I want roof fittings for cauldrons of boiling lead. That should really discourage salesmen, especially combined with the spiked heads of the last few.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well,he's the 'pro' who can't conceal pressure pads or even get them to work properly, so I'd put him in the IMM class...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd say it tells much about your technical knowledge if you don't understand relays and what they do and can do.

But then I'm not - and never have claimed to be - a pro alarm installer. Perish the thought, the way the vast majority are installed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

O!

And if you talk to your customers that way I bet you don't have much work.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Don't need/want the work. Sold my business two years ago. Too many rules and regs these days. EU directives etc. No, happy to be out of it.

Reply to
PJ

WHAT?? No no no, I am more than capable of installing mats BUT stopped doing that 20+ years ago when new (and much better) technology appeared. Trust me, I've installed more pressure mats than you'd believe. AND they were concealed. AND we didn't cut the underlay!

As for relays, I made more circuits using those when I was at college then you probably have but again, I dropped them in favour of better and more reliable technology. That was 27 years ago and YOU are still using them today. Says it all really!

Reply to
PJ

Quite but then he only says he has 25 years experience nothing about being customer facing or professional. How much says that he's just the mucker out for the horses? Certainly knows how to talk horse shit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Think your right Dave , see below.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

In message , PJ writes

Relays are still used in many fields of electronics - they've moved on too.

Reply to
raden

You mean you installed useless technology? You've said on a number of occasions they are unreliable and don't last. So you just took the money and ran?

You're definitely out of the IMM mould. Anything new is always better and exclusively replaces older techniques - regardless.

I've got news for you. Nothing replaced relays for all applications. And I daresay you'll still find them in the finest alarm currently available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, please read my posts properly. I said we used to install them UNTIL better technology became available. Up to the late 70's it was usual to install door contacts and pressure mats. Maybe the odd ultrasonic too. After around 1978 though they were starting to be faded out. Understand me now? What I am saying is that 25 years ago pressure mats became old hat in favour of voluetric protection. YOU though still have mats!

When it comes to pressure mats, yes, indeed.

Reply to
PJ

More references to this "better and more reliable technology" please.

So am I, half a dozen(*) in the 4 zone, dual pumped, single boiler, central heating control system. Mains coils, switching mains power into inductive loads at around 0.5A when running. Cheap, reliable and robust.

OK so this is mains and power not tiddley little alarm stuff but the not so old alarm panel has at least 2 relays in it and each (ancient but much less than 27 years) PIRs has one.

(*) Doesn't include the 4 others in the two commercial programmers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Of course you prefer volumetric protection. Easier to install, so more profit.

Perhaps you'd advise those who ask for advice rather than your usual put downs. But not me, thanks. If I need advice, I'll ask for it, and hope to get an answer from someone who actually understands the subject.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And something that can switch pretty well any type of electrical signal...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)