AdwCleaner

Aas described in my earlier post "Speed it up horror" I rashly tried to install something called "PC Optimiser Pro", and soon wished I hadn't, as it was going to take all night to set up. So I crashed out of it, only for it to leave bits of it behind. Luckily, someone found me a third-party Uninstall guide "How to remove PC OptimiserPro", I've successfully done the first step in this Uninstall guide, which worked well. The second step is to run a utility called AdwCleaner. This I've downloaded, but when run it comes up with a plain white box with the words :- "Oops... something went wrong. Please click on the Try Again button below." Not only does hitting that button simply cause the message to repeat, but the box cannot be removed except by a reboot! Any one met this and got AdwCleaner to work ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Jim Hawkins formulated on Friday :

AdwCleaner works well (never had any problems like you describe - none at all in fact) as does another one called JRT (Junkware Removal Tool). Perhaps something got corrupted during download/installation. Try downloading and installing again.

Reply to
Steve

Yes! That first version of AdwCleaner I tried was clearly infected with malware. When I downloaded the true version it ran perfectly - and generated no less than 7 pages of deletions ! PC Optimiser pro is clearly a very sophisticated piece of malware that can be very difficult to remove. I found that Unlocker and Eraser were of great help in Step 1 of the removal.

Many thanks for your help, Steve

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

I've just run JRT.exe successfully too. It reported repairing a Registry Key, and deleting two folders and two files .

Reply to
Jim Hawkins