Safe zones and wiring through walls

I am planning a kitchen extension on the back of the house and going through the seemingly ever-increasing list of aspects to consider. The current issue is that relating to supplying power (hob/oven, socket ring main, lighting and smoke alarm interconnect).

The most feasible route in to the extension is likely to be within the ceiling of the adjoining room (or beneath the floor of the upstairs if you'd prefer). However, given the pitched roof of the extension, this will mean that the wiring will enter the extension approximately two- thirds up the wall before rising up to the ceiling for distribution.

I was wondering where this leaves me with regards to the 'safe zones' for concealed wiring? I am assuming I will simply be outside them (note this won't be near the corner) between the egress point and the ceiling and so what to do?

My initial thoughts are that I could either i) arrange it such that the wires are at least 50mm beneath the finished surface (e.g. plasterboard on 50mm batons), or ii) locate a wiring accessory such as a 1G blanking plate at the ceiling thus providing a safe zone below encompassing the incoming wires. I did also consider iii) ensuring all circuits are covered by an RCD but short of putting RCBO's in for everything I wasn't keen on this given the potential for nuisance/dangerous tripping.

Any other ideas, or correction to my interpretation of the regs?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

You can give it mechanical protection from nails/screws, needs to be more substantial than just 0.5mm galvanised capping, seems 3mm steel is deemed acceptable

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks Andy. I think previously when I'd imagined metal mechanical protection I'd assumed a requirement for earthing and perhaps some other complexities. Perhaps I was being confused by metal conduit?

Reply to
Mathew Newton