aaargh - washing machine input hose come out of fitment

While I was moving my washing machine the input hose pulled out of the fitment where it goes into the machine. Cue several dozens of gallons of water over the kitchen floor... But now I can't get the fitment back over the hose - it's one of those screw-on things that holds the end of the hose against a rubber washer on the machine. It must have got through the hole on the way out, but there's no give on the fitment to let me push it back over the hose, and I don't want to risk breaking anything by pushing too hard or bashing it with anything... Any advice please?

(The machine is an AEG Lavamat Turbo washer-drier, if that helps).

thanks, Andrew

Reply to
andrew.taylor

It's probably easier to go and buy a new hose.

If I am reading this correctly, the flexible hose has detached it's self from the screw connector that screws to the machine?

So, in this picture, the blue hose and the 90 degree connector are now separate?

new hose is £1.69 from screwfix
am I barking up the wrong tree? If so, do you have a picture of the problem?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Can never be trusted again - replace it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, exactly as you say.. Sounds like time to replace the hose, thanks.

Reply to
andrew.taylor

Makes sense :( Thanks for the quick response.

andrew.taylor

On 9 Jul 2006 05:36:19 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cantab.net wrote this:-

Presumably it was connected to mains pressure water. While mopping up you may have contemplated the attractiveness of turning the water off first next time:-)

Feeding washing machines from low pressure supplies also has a number of attractions, including less mess if a hose fails.

You remind me of a customer who had network problems. The cable connecting router to cable modem was bent into tight bends (it was "neater") and had one end "repaired" with insulating tape. I gave her another cable and threw that one in the bin. I have had this sort of thing once before, with a member of the family.

Stick it in the bin and buy another one.

Reply to
David Hansen

Agreed. But how the hell did you manage to do it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Basically, I was trying to manoeuvre the machine in a tight spot, and the hose, which was only just long enough to reach from the tap, was just under a little too much tension..

Plenty of lessons for the future anyway :(

Reply to
andrew.taylor

OK, I've now bought a new hose, but now I find the old hose was attached to the tap via a large flood/safety valve thing rather than just a simple connector. Should I have got one of these instead or are they not necessary with modern machines? (The old hose must be about 15 years old.)

Thanks for all the advice so far (and patience with an obvious idiot..)

Reply to
andrew.taylor

Can you take a picture of it, as I am not sure what it is you have!

Reply to
Sparks

Thanks for reply - can't get pic now as camera on the blink too :( It's got an oval cross section about 1"/1.5" diameters, about 2" long, with two small (1/4") plastic windows. There's text on it saying: SL EPP-WS

90(deg)C-MAX 0,2-10 bar

any help? A

Reply to
andrew.taylor

Thanks for reply - can't get pic now as camera on the blink too :( It's got an oval cross section about 1"/1.5" diameters, about 2" long, with two small (1/4") plastic windows. There's text on it saying: SL EPP-WS

90(deg)C-MAX 0,2-10 bar

any help? A

Reply to
andrew.taylor

Obviously the data had to slow down for every corner.... ?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not worth trying to be compatible with something old - easier to chop off the old valve and fit a modern check valve (screwfix 14785 - £1.39, or a bit more at the DIY sheds).

Remember to turn the water off first.... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Which obviously was doing absolutely nothing in the flood limiting dept.

Reply to
dom

Thanks, I'll have a look for one.

OK, no need to rub it in :(

Reply to
andrew.taylor

Just to clarify - the valve thingie was part of the hose, at the tap end, so there's no need for anything to be chopped off.

BTW What's the purpose of the check valve?=20

Andrew

Reply to
andrew.taylor

No expert, but does that not stop the flow back into the mains, saving "contaminated" water flowing into the mains and possibly another user getting this "contaminated water . Badly explained but the idea is there .

Reply to
soup

On some appliances, the electrical inlet valve is on the supply end if the inlet hose. I've only seen this on dishwashers, but I see no reason washing machines might not also have this.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

I've only seen that as a flood-stop system rather than as the main inlet valve.

Reply to
Guy King