A simple way to reuse disposable face masks?

Arrestance? That a new word I had to look up before adding it to my 'vocabulary enhancer list'. I've been looking at face mask patterns online and note that as well as having good adjustable ties, you also need to incorporate a 'wire' to help fit the upper mask edge snugly around your nose and cheeks (and not to use any old wire because you don't want it to soon start rusting during 'washes'). Also, incidentally, it has been brought to my notice that you can still readily acquire non-woven meltblown breathable filter fabric from, for example, eBay. So I'm thinking about maybe using that as the filter layer.

But, thanks for the tip - I appreciate it is important to be careful to avoid any significant 'arrestance' (at least I can make it sound like I know what I'm doing :).

Reply to
Kelly

Paul's word, used earlier. I might have said 'if the filter element is insufficiently permeable', but 'arrestance' was already in play, so that's what you got.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Arrestance? That a new word I had to look up before adding it to my 'vocabulary enhancer list'. I've been looking at face mask patterns online and note that as well as having good adjustable ties, you also need to incorporate a 'wire' to help fit the upper mask edge snugly around your nose

Correct!!!!

and cheeks (and not to use any old wire because you don't want it to soon start rusting during 'washes'). Also, incidentally, it has been brought to my notice that you can still readily acquire non-woven meltblown breathable filter fabric from, for example, eBay. So I'm thinking about maybe using that as the filter layer.

But, thanks for the tip - I appreciate it is important to be careful to avoid any significant 'arrestance' (at least I can make it sound like I know what I'm doing :).

Reply to
Ophelia

After all, I expect you can taste the chlorine in your water supply at least some of the time

Reply to
newshound

I think 'vocabulary chancer' is what you're looking for. And you add the person rather than the word, to the list.

Reply to
Tim Streater

:) I like that - it's more than amusing. Still, coming out with the odd big word can't be wrong... but it's a fine line which can be easily overstepped.

ps. I hasten to add I thought the word 'arrestance' was appropriately used on the occasion under discussion.

Reply to
Kelly

The WHO and others keep saying that it is not a given that someone having survived Covid19 , does not mean that you are immune from catching it again. Does that not make a vaccine against Covid19 a futile exercise? as by the time its produced , the virus has mutated enough to be beyond a vaccine.

Reply to
N_Cook

It might. It might be like the common cold - there will be another three along in a minute - but we all have enough immunity we don't die

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends on how it mutates and what part of it the vaccine targets. AIUI there are a number of vaccine development labs around the world researching a covid vaccine, and I doubt if they're all targeting the same bit of it, so there should be several pathways to getting the vaccine to be effective and to cope with mutations.

But I did see on the TV this morning the head of the UK vaccine research saying that for corona viruses (possibly all viruses, I don't remember) immunity resulting from a vaccine wasn't as long-lasting as immunity acquired from infection and recovery.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

My DIY version of face masks Converting a one-way valve-type "builders" dust mask , with strong cords around the back of the head. Cover the outer surface with micro-fibre cloth that you can spray coronavirus-specific disinfectant to. As not used in a dust environment, hang up indoors to dry out and re-spray the outer before next use. To hold the cloth in place:10 mm or 3/8 inch silicone sleeving, length of the periphery. Cut axially and staple the join, the bit of overlap giving just the stretch to hold in place and pull out the ruckles from curving the sleeving. Part of my mask design is the outer micro-fibre cloth , as used for only an hour is damp, from the disinfectant spray, which I assume is better at trapping aerosols than dry. A functional note, the loop of silicone sleeving requires 4 small thin C-clips to reliably hold the cloth around the underlying dust mask. I sliced up some car-electrics crimp connector plastic sheathing for c-clips.

With no hand-sanitizing gel available anywhere, use methylated spirits , decanted into a small bottle , to reduce any fire hazard, when used in public places. My attempts at gelling meths just ended up with snot/slime. Place a small pill-bottle or similar with a good sealed lid, hidden in shrubbery or whatever near the front door of your house and get everyone to douse their hands and house keys before touching the door furniture and entering.

Reply to
N_Cook

One of the first trials they did, was a dose/response trial of a prototype blood-based vaccine. And the vaccine used, was not intended for deployment. It wasn't a candidate in the sense we would think of it. And I think we can see why, from the comments from the WHO, exactly why they were doing a dose/response as their very first trial, using something which is *not* a candidate vaccine. To tell whether this might just be... futile.

The test was to show whether a vaccine could respond at all.

The trial was done on volunteers.

I've not seen any reports of that trial being a "dismal failure". If the scientists were getting no response at all, the alarms would have gone off by now.

There are currently 70 labs (as of yesterday), working on a vaccine candidate. Likely with some of the labs having more of a reputation or track record, than others.

And within the last couple days, there was a report on a "nasal spray" delivery method. As I keep seeing references to the desired vaccine response being a lung tissue response, rather than the (easier to make) blood stream response. Rather than the nasal spray delivery method being for "kids afraid of needles", in this case it may be intended to "get the response from lung tissue".

*******

To keep a long story short, the worst case will be a "seasonal flu" situation, where every year we make up a new strain and "give you a jab". That's the worst job we could do. Every year, the hospital will fill up with seasonal flu victims, only more will pass than normal.

We need to do better than that. It's not the fault of the "vaccine candidate" people. This is a manufacturing problem we've been trying to lick for 50+ years. It's like fusion energy, in that a solution is just around the corner. Only 50 years to go.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet this ends up like a seasonal flu. Forever. Get the jab. Hope.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

? 2020?4?18???? UTC+8??4:28:11?Kelly???

Reply to
masklongfw

I can provide a mask, please reply if necessary.

Reply to
masklongfw

? 2020?4?18???? UTC+8??4:28:11?Kelly???