Subject Author Posted Replies

Warning sound in car too low
I'm driving a Suzuki Celerio 1,000 c.c auto that has a warning buzzer if I switch off the engine with the lights on. The trouble is that the sound is quite low and I have damaged hearing and often...
6
6

Radio clock - year only
I have a few radio controlled clocks around the place. One of them shows hour + minute +seconds, temperature and the year. Who the hell might not know what year it is? Why not show the much more...
15
15

Burning logs in open fires
if the flue is designed to run with a basket, ou may get smoke escaping of you lower theh combustion area I have seen pubs ho have done this raise the thing back with a layer of bricks..
10
10

Acoustic glazing
We're having some replacement windows and doors and my wife has got a bee in her bonnet about having "acoustic glazing" in them, in order to reduce the impact of the farm vehicles that come past our...
15
15

Which make of Consumer Unit?
Are there any reasons to choose one make over another? I need a split amd3 board with one section RCD protected, one section of RCBOs and a few unprotected MCBs for sheds and other things with their...
18
18

Earthing/grounding technique
Apologies if this has been posted already but I missed it. Photo on page 1 of this PDF: In the show, one of them says, 'And we should mention, it might even be easier to understand if you used the...

Continental europe having problems with 50Hz
They've lost 5 minutes worth of cycles since mid-January
95
95

Gridwatch down?
Just looked and it is not responding. Cheers Dave R
2
2

OT: Scaring pheasants off
DIY of a sort I suppose: I'm calling upon the experience and imagination of this group ... I currently have a cock pheasant frequenting our garden; he brings with him 2 or 3 hens, and sometimes as...
45
45

Fixings for secondary glazing
For light acrylic secondary glazing what methods of fixing could you recommend? NT
6
6

Hitachi Cordless Drill
Many brownie points to Hitachi Power Tools (UK) Ltd. for repairing my just-out-of-warranty cordless drill FoC. Thank you!
1
1

OT: Grown up kids
My sister just emailed, lamenting the fact that her son and the wife of her other son are going to Siri Lanka on holiday together next week and they've only just thought to mention it to her. I...
16
16

It's another Clive...
this time with a weird CFL fault, it lights dim & pink NT Teardown and autopsy of a CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lamp) with a strange defect from manufacture - it has very dim pink light and never warms...
7
7

SWA colours
The man cave project goes ahead. The old sectional garage has been demolished, and I found to my surprise that the SWA feeding it is blue, red, and yellow. Is a new sparky going to balk at this and...
15
15

Which fuse or MCB trips first?
Take a 3 phase incoming supply to a main distribution DB with a C100A rated main switch. This DB has a C63A 3PH MCB to power DB1 that is about 15m away with some 16mm SWA. You then use different...
11
11