Continental europe having problems with 50Hz

They've lost 5 minutes worth of cycles since mid-January

Reply to
Andy Burns

Seems surprising.

I'm not sure if the continental grid is kept synchronised across all countries. In the UK, any daily lag is usually fixed overnight.

Reply to
newshound

Good job the interconnctors are DC!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I didn't know / imagine that (or guess why)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

AIUI short-distance undersea interconnectors are sometimes AC, but long-distance ones are almost always DC, because they experience significant capacitance* losses if AC due to being surrounded by an earthed conductor, i.e. salt water.

*but might be inductance. IANAE
Reply to
Chris Hogg

It's exactly *why* they're DC as I understand it, the difficulty of synchronising our grid with the French grid.

For longer cables DC makes sense for other reasons but for the 25 odd miles across the channel I'm pretty sure it was the synchronisation issue that was the reason for using DC.

Weren't they originally huge mercury arc rectifiers or is that just my wierd imagination? :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

I am a bit surprised they have let it drift quite so far though. I guess it must have been very cold everywhere and they lacked any spare capacity to catch up even in the quiet hours of early morning.

It is even more important in Japan where the east half the island is on UK 50Hz mains and the west half on US kit at 60Hz. The voltage is also non-standard at 100v which makes it marginal for real US kit to work.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not usre there are ANY undersea AC links

It is capaacitance that kills - power factor is vile and that leads to large out of phase currents which heat the cable up

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, it is losses.

Yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We've not maintained our average either - if the mains locked digital clock I have here is to be believed. It is now further out than at any time since I've had it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How much has UK paid for French electricity and foreign gas. What happens if Russia turns off the flow of gas to UK? Something a bit more relevant to worry about in UK.

Reply to
Martin

Not much because we don't get much gas from Russia. Now if Russia turned off its gas to the rest of its customers the price would rocket.

Reply to
dennis

Yes well, I whenever convinced it was that accurate since I saw hum bars rolling down tv screens in the 1960s.

I blame the solar inputs from invertors myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The interconnect between the small Danish island of Bornholm in the Baltic and Sweden is AC. Admittedly it's only a 60KV 60MW link, but it's submerged for 43.5km. It's the one I had in mind, but it's actually longer than I realised.

Chris Hogg

I was actually thinking that I'd imagine powe cuts were the biggest annoyance to clocks that cound mains cycles myself, not a slight loss due to cycles.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks Chris, it makes sense.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Indeed. According to Wikipedia, the largest were rated at 270 MW (the main French interconnector is 2000 MW

"However, starting about 1975, silicon devices have made mercury-arc rectifiers largely obsolete, even in HVDC applications. The largest ever mercury-arc rectifiers, built by English Electric, were rated at 150-kV,

1800 A and were used until 2004 at the Nelson River DC Transmission System high-voltage DC-power-transmission project."

newshound

Before the Berlin wall came down, there were two continental Europe synchronisation zones, Western Europe run from Switzerland, and Eastern Europe run from Moscow. The first was +/- 0.1Hz, the second was +/- 1Hz, IIRC. The western side was actually very short on spare capacity (particularly Germany), and the east had lots, but from highly poluting sources. When the wall came down, Germany was in a dilema at the time on using power from the east which Western German industry desperately needed, but seriously pumping up the resulting polution.

I haven't seen a good write-up since the political geography changed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Isle of Man to Bispham near Blackpool

40MW at 90kV 104km (longest in the world)

Spain to Morocco

600MW @ 400kV 27km
Reply to
The Other Mike