Continental europe having problems with 50Hz

There is a maximum size for synchronised ac distribution areas. There may also be security issues.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No, there is a size beyond which efficiency drops. Due to propagation delay.

There are not.

But as usual you have missed the real poinst. Ther is no reason to sunch the GB grid with Europe because its NOT CONNECTED. Except by DC links. Its a different marter where Germany and te former Eastern Bloc are concerned - stringing some AC pylons over a border is easy...until politics rears its head.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

there are both

No I haven't missed that point. Any more junk you'd like to make up?

so you admit politics is an issue after all. Well done.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You keep saying that. It would not be simple or cheap. At the moment you just need a crude set of rollers and bearings, and a sufficiently powerful motor to overcome limiting friction at maximum torque. You would need some combination of better bearings for the belt rollers, more precision and rigidity of the whole conveyor structure, a much larger motor with either a variable frequency inverter or a continuously variable gearbox. And a control system to replace the current on/off switch in the mains supply. If you don't believe me, try and make one yourself.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 19:18:20 -0000, Roger Hayter wrot= e:

rote:

No, you take the current system and add a soft start thyristor like on a= washing machine. Five quid maybe? Jesus Christ my =A330 cordless dril= l can do it.

-- =

A patient tells the Doctor, "I've been going to a faith healer, but wasn= 't getting any better." The Doctor smiled and said, "And what dumb advice did this phony give yo= u?" "He told me to come see you." replied the new patient.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

With widely variable friction from the crude conveyor mechanism?

Reply to
Max Demian

rote:

How hard can it be to simply provide power to the motor slowly? Ramp i= t up over 0.3 seconds.

And a cordless drill has variable friction.

-- =

Please do not look into laser with remaining eye.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

All you need is a sort of visvoius clutch, or possibly a flywheel, to smooth out jerkiness. And then move the sensor a bit upstream

BUT how will that improve profits?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because when the whisky falls off the conveyor (I've seen it happen many a time), the shop has to pay for it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sure. You need servo feedback so the drive computer knows how fast the belt is going. You might be right about the 5 quid - but that's 5 quid on every belt in every store. It would probably be less reliable too.

There's just not a good enough reason.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It only takes one damaged product to cost them a fiver. The current on= es are not fit for purpose. I've lost count of how many times someone's= Pimms has fallen off and smashed, at the store's expense. Would you bu= y a car that only went 0mph and 50mph?

-- =

"Hi, It's a great day and I'm out enjoying it right now. I hope you are= too. The thought for the day is 'Share the love.'" BEEP. "Um, yeah, hello? This is the VD clinic calling. Your test results are= back and you're positive. Stop sharing the love."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've lost count of how many times

you dont half talk some s**te

Reply to
humphrey

What part of "store's expense" don't you understand? Things fall off the belt and smash on the floor. The store pays for it. Had they installed a decent belt, they wouldn't have smashed. Simple enough for you?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You must live beside some very clumsy people. Who seem only to buy boose. Perhaps the two are related.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, usually one or two bottles and =A3100 of food, perfectly reasonable.= And it's not the customer being clumsy, it's the belt. Would you buy = a car that suddenly accelerated from 0mph to 10mph?

-- =

System error 4C: kernel panic

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword