Continental europe having problems with 50Hz

Series, more like, to limit current.

Jerk is just the inability to reduce it ENOUGH. Modern trains start with a chopped buzziness.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That sounds kinky, what does it mean?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

GIYF.

Reply to
Max Demian

And just watch your premium go up if you claim for a stolen car.

Two neighbours have had cars stolen which disappeared without trace. Probably taken abroad.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why should I do all the work?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I don't know anyone who has ever had a car stolen. Move.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I had a colleague who had a car stolen. When it was recovered it was found that the thieves had dropped some ball bearings into the carburettor. So new engine needed.

Reply to
charles

I have had two cars stolen. And one attempted to be stolen.

Two in London, One in Brussels.

Got them all back, in various states.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's right, start in series, then later switch to parallel.

Quite so. Until the advent of power electronics in rail traction, then control was generally either by tapchanger, for ac supplies, or series resistors for dc schemes. In both cases the steps (or notches as they are known) are finite, not continuously variable, and there will always be jerks. The art of the design engineer is making them as smooth as practicable.

Somewhere in the loft I have the notching curves I drew for the Class 313 rolling stock.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Weird. What kind of car thief carries ball bearings with them? There seems to be a more plausible explanation to me...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On more recent trains, I seem to hear the electronics "whistling" a set of steps as they depart, why not continuous?

Or are those just more noticeable and the latest ones /are/ continuous?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes they could. Over a hundred years ago. Just expensive.

harry

which is? BTW the owner of thatbcar died about 20 years ago.

Reply to
charles

It isn't true and they aren't called that in the UK. Apart from that, cracking posting.

Reply to
Huge

Of course not. Who would steal the sort of cars found in your area. Apart from a desperate joy rider.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That the owner knew that the engine was already a bit shagged and dropped them in himself...

Of course there?s no way of knowing but it seems more plausible than car thieving scrotes carrying ball bearings so that they can maliciously wreck an engine of a vehicle that they plan to dump.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That was my thought too. Why take the trouble to open a bonnet and remove filter housing etc.

These days it would be torched to remove DNA evidence.

Reply to
Fredxx

Only old cars get stolen, stealing a new car is too problematic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If you have burglars in your area, you're in a shit area. Complain to the police that they're not doing their job properly, after all your taxes pay for their wages, they are your employees.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Maybe the car wasn't stolen for theft, it was stolen so they could wreck= it because they hated the owner.

-- =

Acupuncturists do it with a small prick.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword