Warning sound in car too low

I'm driving a Suzuki Celerio 1,000 c.c auto that has a warning buzzer if I switch off the engine with the lights on. The trouble is that the sound is quite low and I have damaged hearing and often can't hear it.

Is it possible to increase the volume of the warning device? I would ask the garage but I'm not due there for some months. pfj

Reply to
PeteFJ

I'd say it depends where the buzzer or sounder is. If its get atable then I'd imagine you could do it with a small amplifier of some kind or maybe a relay and a more beefy sounder. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's most likely a piezo sounder. Connecting another in parallel could help if the driver can run them both at resonance. If. Otherwise you could add a new piezo driver triggered by the old one. With hearing damage you're lik ely to be beter off choosing a larger and thus lower frequency piezo.

The size of the market for this is one, you're it, so you won't find anythi ng ready made.

Personally I wish all such things were banished from cars. I've always look ed back to see the lights aren't on, what's so hard about that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I fitted aftermarket reversing sensors to the old Rover. The hatchback design makes it pretty difficult to guess the exact position of the rear bumper.

The kit had a dash panel with flashing LEDS - one for each sensor - and a bleeper. Didn't want the LEDs and the bleeper was near inaudible once I'd fitted the dash unit out of sight inside the instrument nacelle. So simply got a larger piezo electric sounder from Maplin and replaced the much smaller one. If anything, it's now too loud.

Intention is to build a better solution which includes different sound(s) for lights on warning (etc) too, and have an easy method of setting how loud they are. You'd have thought someone would do a chip with a selection of nice warning sounds and a few inputs, and enough of an output to drive a suitable sounder - perhaps a small loudspeaker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Job for an Arduino?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't think so, they aren't much good for that sort of thing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Read the owners handbook. Some cars have the warning sounds integrated into the cars audio system (even when the radio/cd etc is 'off')

It could be a case of pressing a few buttons and going from normal sound levels to eleven.

Reply to
The Other Mike