5" bathroom extractor fan

Just fitted a 4" wall-mounted Monrose extractor with a timer that was bought from Screwfix last month in my downstairs shower room/toilet. The room is approx. (W)2m x (D)2m x (H)2.5m, and the ducting is around 40-50cm long (the depth of the external wall). I also fitted a grill with draft shutter on the external wall.

My problem is that the fan doesn't seem to do very much at all. It hardly manages to open the shutters when running, and when holding the shutters fully open the airflow is hardly noticeable. Also, I tried to place a small piece of tissue in front of it (with the shutter held open), and it hardly managed to keep it sucked to the front grill.

Is this normal for a fan of such size (85 m3/h)?

I am seriously thinking about replacing it with a 5" one. Does anyone know of other suppliers other than

who do them? Nothing against TLC - used then many times and has always been happy - just interested to see what's available.

TIA,

J.

Reply to
JoeJoe

JoeJoe

I found that with the bathroom door closed the fan is next to useless at removing air, but open the door and hey presto.

If it's fine with the door open you will need to make some holes somewhere.

Reply to
Pet

(Previous reply at top of post)

Ive just fitted a 4" Xpelair fan in my bathroom with an inline back draught shutter (from TLC). As a comparison, when this starts running the shutter is immediately opened and if there is steam in the bathroom this can been seen visibly moving towards the fan. I've got a slight gap under my bathroom door. Nice fan easy to fit and works well. Not sure if your fan is faulty or just not very good however.

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

Well at least its better to learn this now than never.

Work it out. 85 m3/hr = 1.4 m3/minute = 0.023 m3/second. And of course those are going to be the most optimistic specs they could come up with. Thats, under the most optimisitc possible circumstances, 2

100ths of a m3 per sec.

lol, didnt you just learn the lesson?

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Tosser...

Reply to
JoeJoe

In message , Charles Middleton writes

I have a 4 inch fan fitted in the loft space, vent in the celing, sucking/venting through the roof via about 3 metres of pipe probably. I don't know how much it sucks, i've never bothered to find out. It does effectively vent the bathroom though going on the lack of persistent condensation and mould :-) also going by the amount of dust and fluff that has collected on the ceiling vent - esp. with all the recent decorating that has been going on.

There is a gap under bathroom door, and it's is normally left a bit open anyway.

Reply to
chris French

Try it without the draft shutter. There should be no problem with a 4 inch fan (including Manrose) holding a piece of tissue paper.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks, tried just that, and the fan did manage to hold the paper, but only just.

I am still not sure if there is a problem here, just the suction look quite pathetic.

Reply to
JoeJoe

In message , JoeJoe writes

Question really is, does it do the job in terms of venting the bathroom. I expect the rate of my fan venting is quite low, but it does the job effectively, and pretty quietly - it's not really an issue for me if it takes say 20 minutes to do this rather than 5.

In the kitchen however, it's much more important for the extractor to work better, it has to deal with a lot more steam and smells and get rid of them much quicker.

Reply to
chris French

FWIW I've just fitted a 4" Manrose (humidity model) with similar spec. to our bathroom, and you can most definitely feel the suck when you stick your hand up to it. I haven't tried it but it feels like it'd hold a sheet of A5, and is certainly strong enough for a sheet or two of toilet paper.

First thing I'd check if you're not getting this kind of suction from yours is for air leaks around the fan itself - is the thing reasonably well secured to the ducting, reasonably flush to the wall and is the casing fitted properly? If not it is quite possible to have a kind of "short circuit" which can cause the thing to suck air from around the edges of the casing or even from within your cavity rather than through the front of the unit.

As for how to improve this if it is the problem, I'm sure there will be plenty of helpful suggestions here if only you ask :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove