Subject Author Posted Replies

Monitoring electricity consumption
bought one of these to monitor the electric consumption of the electric car I recently purchased. The car isn't seeing much use so it only goes on charge about once week. I keep a note of the distance...
17
17

Simple measuring of an alcove, etc.
Years ago, I had a tape measure with a lead and or scriber on the back of the housing. To fit, say, a shelf to an alcove, you merely extended the tape measure within the alcove, locked it, and...
23
23

cutting aluminium with a jig saw
I've never had a problem with 3mm sheet, using a fine blade, maximum 'attack', and maybe running the machine at about half speed. But cutting some 5mm stuff the metal was softening and clogging the...
4
4

What does CBB61 mean?
I'm ordering some caps so I can vary the speed of an extractor and see that they are sold as "CBB61", but I can't find what this refers to. Can anyone enlighten my darkness?
3
3

RUST CLEANING
you get over his voice he talks a lot of sense about small engines etc Forget all those commercial rust remover products for cleaning your parts and tools. You will not believe what everyday household...

Rejuvenating nicads
Anyone tried rejuvenating nicads by putting them in a freezer for a couple of hours to remove the memory effect? Some webpages also recommend tapping the frozen cells for a minute or two to break up...
27
27

Maintaining constant overnight bedroom temperature with electric heater
I've got a large house with gas central heating which I use during the day. It gets cold overnight in the bedroom though, so I use a 2KW electric convection heater with the thermostat set to about 18...
52
52

OT: about coal gas and hydrogen
Really this is a separate thread response to Tim S who claimed that gas was made by pyrolizing coal to make coke. Yes, originally it was, and that gas contained not only carbon monoxide, but any...
20
20

Accessibility (or otherwise) of FCUs
We have an electric radiant heater in a shower room, with a pull switch, all 'correct'. The installation instructions say that an isolation switch must be 2-pole and have ??mm contact clearance (I...
7
7

QR code, part 2
I downloaded the QR code app linked to by Andy, and it works OK. But when I set it up, it offered to put a link onto the task-bar (Win 10, BTW), which I accepted as there was no other location...
8
8

Socket on a lighting FCU - should one?
I am about to install a PIR outdoor light, there's already some wiring in place that I can use to feed it but it's a bit non-standard and/or non-conforming. The existing outside wiring feeds a single...
2
2

lube for fuel line ?
I need to remove 3/8" bore 'braided rubber' fuel pipe, from the side of petrol pump/filter combination unit. Hook up temporary fuel supply (part of winterizing process) then refit original fuel pipe....
14
14

Re: Square edge skirting - and management input!
In message
1
1

How best to dim LED panels?
Any recommendations please on panels/drivers that can be dimmed by "ordinary" (e.g. Varilight V-Pro) dimmers? Background is I'm looking to fit LED panels on the kitchen ceiling for the general work...
40
40

Re: Painting a PVC front door
Experiment? what on earth do you mean? I never got far trying to paint pvc, it seemed to either peel off like a skin or always feel tacky. Also, be aware of the seals around the door as some paint can...
12
12