QR code, part 2

I downloaded the QR code app linked to by Andy, and it works OK. But when I set it up, it offered to put a link onto the task-bar (Win 10, BTW), which I accepted as there was no other location offered. But I'm unlikely to use it very often, and would like to put the link on my desktop rather than the task-bar. But I can't see how to move it - it won't drag-and-drop - all it offers is for me to remove it from the task-bar, but then I won't be able to activate it if I ever need it again, and it doesn't run automatically when I open the MS camera function.

So how do I put a link to that QR code app onto my desktop?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I removed it so can't tell for sure, but if you right-click it, do you get option to pin to start menu, if so you can unpin from taskbar?

Reply to
Andy Burns

just re-installed, it didn't put link in my task bar (nor did it ask) but it did put it in my start menu, from there you can pin it to a start tile,

but it's a "modern UI" app (aka TIFKAM aka Metro), so if you do Win+R and paste in

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

you should see a list of all modern apps, CODEX should be there, if you right click it, it will offer to create a shortcut, this will fail, but it will then offer to create a shortcut on the desktop which is what you want anyway ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think that was an option when I first set it up, but I chose the start bar, and right clicking on that doesn't offer the start menu option. Actually, I've just checked the start menu, and it is there, so I must have chosen that option at some time. I hadn't noticed it before as I don't often use the start menu, just the task bar for my regular programmes. I'll remove the link from my task bar - thanks for that reminder.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I think that now you have to go to the desktop, create a new shortcut and then copy the location of the .exe to it. Then hunt for a suitable Icon. I used to use the Desktop all the time prior to W10 but I have sort of moved to the Start tiles instead.

Reply to
newshound

Brilliant, did just what I wanted - thanks very much!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Doesn't Windows give you a method to interrogate an item on the taskbar and ask where the original file is? Or, can't you look in the Program Files folder for a likely suspect?

Reply to
Tim Streater

For normal executables you can find the location easily enough, but for UWP apps, you just get a long string of gobbledygook, like

F46D4000-FD22-4DB4-AC8E-4E1DDDE828FE_10.0.19041.423_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Reply to
Andy Burns

If its in the start up, then its probably a shortcut you can go into the folder with the right privs and copy it to the desktop as well. If you know where the file it runs is you can easily make a shortcut to it of course. Or you may find it has an option to be started at start up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa