WhatsApp

I would like to use WhasApp on my computer but the hassle with photographing the QR code on the screen irritated me.

If I added bluetooth facilities to my desktop might that eliminate the problem once phone and computer had been paired?

Reply to
pinnerite

Scan with your phone, when the url comes up in your browser, copy it and send it to your desktop in an email.

Not sure what the QR code is pointing you to though. More the question is: where is the QR code, phone or PC?

Reply to
Big Al

I'm sure I read recently that WhatsApp are planning to allow you "trust" your PC, once authorised, so that photographing the QR code will be a one off thing.

When they are going to roll this out, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that some people are being allowed to do it now, as part of their testing.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The trouble with the beta test is that if you join you won't be able to use Whatsapp on your computer to communicate with anyone on Whatsapp who is *not* using the beta. Don't know if you will still be able to do so with your phone. Or when the beta will be released fully.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I don't know anything about WhatsApp, but I recently had occasion to 'acquire' a QR code graphic; finding myself thinking 'what the hell does that 'say'/mean?'

Linux has an app QtQr that can decode the QR. I haven't used it yet, but I plan to try it out to compare the information in the QR w/ what I know about what it is supposed to be.

That is, you shouldn't have to photograph a QR code from your screen; you should be able to capture it and convert/'decode' it.

Reply to
Mike Easter

When you use WhatsApp on a computer, it puts up a QR code. Going into WA on your phone, you can select to read the QR code using the phone's camera. The PC WA then bursts into life and can be used, but your phone needs to remain turned on, as it is the confirmation that the PC is (temporarily) authorised.

We use WA when WFH, to let each other know when we are starting finishing or need to nip out (Teams and Email for proper work communications) and if you want to type a lengthy bit of info, using the PC and its keyboard is far better than trying to type on the phone screen.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The QtQr app which I obtained from a launchpad .ppa was not able to 'properly' handle the QR image I have. That is, the app permits one to either drag an image or open an image in a file manager to feed the tool. The tool also requires that you tell it what the content is supposed to be about, such as text or phone number or URL etc for more than a dozen.

This image was for a SMART health card. The QtQr could 'decode' a lot of 'data' but it didn't contain/show the information which I knew to be in the smart health card.

Searching on QtQr smart health card wasn't helpful to me; however apparently there are plenty of phone apps for smart health card using the phone camera..

Reply to
Mike Easter

To be sure. I'm a dinosaur; I never carry a phone. But my home is 'full of' old landline phones, corded and cordless which are VoIP/ed. I use googlevoice for receiving such as text messages and when I want to send a text or a pic I use the computer full sized screen and full sized keyboard to send to those 'phone people'.

I 'never' type anything on a phone's little pad or screen. On the occasions when I'm traveling out of town and actually turn on a conventional cell phone, I only use it for voice or receiving text, never sending. No thumbing for me, thank you. :-)

Reply to
Mike Easter

I am not sure that you would gain anything useful with bluetooth.

I only have to photo the QR code if I have used another machine to do whatsapp.

normally it 'remembers' me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Always been like that for me

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not my experience. I never asked to be tested but I seldom have to enter a QR code.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. I tend to travel with the laptop instead. If no wifi, use phone as hotspot.!

Mobile phones are largely useless. Good cameras and flashlights, excellent satnavs, OK for texts and the odd voice call.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would be a little inaccessible for those of us who do not use the screen at all, relying on speech, so there has to be another route I'd imagine. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Google can do a similar think with their SMS app, lets you send/receive texts on using a computer, sometimes handy for copy/pasting auth codes ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

There are standard "types" of QR code that self-describe what they are e.g. website URL, WiFi credentials, business card, map location etc ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I simply use my Sipgate VOIP account to send SMS messages from my computer. To receive SMS to E-Mail I have a virtual mobile number at Andrews and Arnold.

Reply to
Chris Green

I haven't got blue tooth on the PC in this room, but WhatsApp works just fine, presumably via Wi-Fi.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I may be wrong, but don't you only have to do that once unless you sign out on the PC or kick the PC out from your phone?

Reply to
R D S

Quite. Once paired, should stay paired.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

They don't stay paired when you shut down and restart the next day. At least mine doesn't.

Reply to
Steve Walker