Simple measuring of an alcove, etc.

Years ago, I had a tape measure with a lead and or scriber on the back of the housing.

To fit, say, a shelf to an alcove, you merely extended the tape measure within the alcove, locked it, and transferred that dimension directly to the shelf, using the lead in the housing. No need to know the actual meaurement.

I found this incredibly useful for all sorts of things.

Anything similar on the market? No real need to know the true dimension, just to transfer it to something else. As you'd do with internal calipers. But the ability to do it over greater distances than calipers - normal tape measure lengths.

The tape measure I had (broken a long time ago) would also allow you to do this for say the shelf length, with a second lead/scriber at the front of the housing, and transfer that direct to a second shelf, but not used anything like as much as easier to measure anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

This reads like a long description of someone who needs to wear reading glasses but hasn't yet made the jump to bi-focals:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hultafors Talmeter

Andy Burns

Make an extendable stick form of internal caliper (there's probably a "correct" name but I don't know what it is). Either join two pieces of a rigid and lightweight material (batten, plastic trunking, etcetera) in a way that allows them to slide and be locked in desired position, or get two lengths of different diameter tube (one inside t'other) and arrange a way of locking them ... other solutions will arrive after a moment's thought. I've used both tubes and batten. I didn't bother with a lead but you could make a hole a known distance from each end and glue a pencil or sharpened nail into it.

Reply to
nothanks

most tape measures I have have the width of the case inscribed on the case to be added to the observed tape length to get an internal dimension

Reply to
fred

Murmansk

And that reads like someone who only reads DIY groups and never actually does any. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not interested in the dimension. Just the true distance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Thanks Andy. That does most of what I want. If only it had the option of a pencil lead as well as the scriber. For marking something hard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Murmansk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You really have missed the point of the question. ;-) I don't need to know the measurement - just transfer it to the work.

Oddly, Fisco made the tape measure I so liked. Was quite pricey, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News
<snip>

In this case I can vouch for Tim and know he does indeed do quite a bit of practical stuff himself and probably did loads more himself when he was younger (I've seen some of it myself). ;-)

I too think the idea of a 'direct dimension transfer' tool is a good idea and of course exactly what we often do with slip / feeler gauges etc.

Say when setting tappets, you aren't actually measuring the gap, you are setting / checking to see if the gap is whatever 'dimension it's supposed to be.

Measuring the inside width of something like an alcove or window reveal is always a PITA and at *any* time there is need to read a difficult-to-read number off something like a tape measure ... and then remember / transfer that number to say a shelf for cutting there is chance for a miss-measure (when no 'measurement' was ever needed).

eg, It's easy to measure the dimension of the front opening of an alcove, but what if the back is narrower and you want to cut the shelf square but as close fitting as you can? Easy with a locking / expanding measure as it can both act as a slip gauge and a dimension marker. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I found it so useful I'm surprised it was discontinued. Incredibly useful for when all you wanted to do was transfer dimension X to something else. Where the actual size was irrelevant. With that, no need to measure twice and cut once. ;-)

Probably one of those things that if you haven't had one would never miss it. A bit like a decent de-solder station.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

I'm actually awed by the detail offered by such as John R. and happy to take a back seat. My current project is filling a 25cu.m skip with scrap steel and preparing to fill the replacement. To me, tape measures are unreadable without glasses and I refuse to wear bi-focals for anything other than driving. The two pointed sticks method is OK. Generally I stick my thumb nail on the tape and carry it carefully to the job.

Reply to
Tim Lamb
<snip>

Probably coincided when most people stopped doing any diy. ;-(

Yup.

Indeed. ;-)

+1 ... and take for granted ... till it stops working etc. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Most tapes can be locked, giving you an accurate template as well as a measurement.

Reply to
Fredxx

What about one of those telescopic thingies, like this:

Extend enough to fit in alcove, remove, it holds its length by friction, transfer to workpiece.

Bonus points if there's a screw or something you can grab the magnet on...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The whole point of this device is you don't need to read the dimensions. Or use your thumb - which could easily slip - over the tape.

It really is - to me - one of those relatively cheap tools once experienced you wonder how you managed without.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes some years ago, on ACB radio in the states something similar was used by the Blind handyman. I'd never heard of such a device, but it appeared some of the blindness organisations over there stocked them. Nobody this side of the pond had heard of them, the best I ended up with was a talking tape measure that you could add the size of the body to the given measurement. OK but no tactile scribe mark. Could it be that blind DIY has been hit by the Elf and safety big brother knows better brigade? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

But doesn't have a marker built in. And a 3 metre one would be a bit unwieldy. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

This is a DIY forum - make one yourself (in sections, as I described earlier) and add your own marking devices. You could have made one in the time its taken to type the responses.

Reply to
nothanks