cutting aluminium with a jig saw

I've never had a problem with 3mm sheet, using a fine blade, maximum 'attack', and maybe running the machine at about half speed. But cutting some 5mm stuff the metal was softening and clogging the blade, which was very hard to unclog. Reducing the speed led to a lot of vibration and snatching.

I couldn't find any Freezit so I tried a can of VCR head cleaner. This is very volatile stuff and feels really cold if you squirt it on your skin.

I held the nozzle close to the work and just gave a quick blast every so often. It worked really well. It completely solved the problem. I was able to cut with the machine on full speed. The stuff cleaned off easily.

I would think that ordinary switch cleaner would work.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Interesting. FYI paraffin is the usual lubrication for cutting or milling aluminium.

Reply to
nothanks

WD40 works very well also

Reply to
John Rumm

Isn't it only alcohol under pressure? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Cut 12mm recently with no fluid. Bit rough but just about doable with cheap jigsaw.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster