Subject Author Posted Replies

Cutting tile with hacksaw
I need to cut one 3 inch square tile in a straight line. I don't have a proper tool as usual but I do have small and large hacksaws. I thought of scoring the tile (shiny side?) and snapping it. Any...
9
9

Latest glitch
To transfer digital photos from the camera memory to the PC I am used to plugging the memory card in an adapter in to a convenient usb port. Post recent *roll up* of W7pro from MS this has stopped...
10
10

Plume from heating boiler
The flue from my neighbour's boiler vents a large plume, while mine is always much smaller. All other things being equal, does this suggest my boiler is not condensing as mch as the neighbour's and...
47
47

Garmin City Navigator Europe
Looking inside W10 to remove old/unwanted files, programs etc. I have found <>Garmin City Navigator Europe. NTU_2024_10 7.15 GB 10/05/2023 NTU 2020.20 5.52 GB 01/11/2019 NTU 2019.30 5.36 GB 31/01/2019...
3
3

Attic Room: stud wall insulation
Does anyone know the regulatory requirement for insulating the stud partition walls of an attic room? I'd sorta assume the same for roof spaces - 300mm rockwool equivalent? But rockwool would be...
18
18

Weird SmartLife app behaviour
Have this app to control our MoesHome? smart thermostat. So does SWMBO. Both Android. My version of the app steadfastly refuses to display the temperature that the device is showing. Despite being...

Festive Essentials?
Wondering why a soft-close toilet seat is considered a 'festive essential' by Screwfix. Trying to decide whether a Screwfix or an Aldi Christmas Jumper is more ironically naff. Owain
19
19

Vehicle number plate recognition in the dark.
I have always wondered whether speed camaeras would work in the dark but maybe they do. I have just installed a HiLook outdoor camera and in the dark a car's number plate shows up better than any...
19
19

Cut Perspex
Got some about 1/4" thick perspex to cut, not sure whih way to tackle it. Don't fancy score & snap, it would be ouch if one broke where not wanted. I could use circular saw, jigsaw or soldering gun...
11
11

Damage from all-night heating with restricted flow
If a heating boiler is run all night and the thermostatic radiator valves are turned down, then there might be very little flow through the pipes when the valves start to shut off. This is assuming no...
16
16

How to make Win11 more like Win10?
I bought a new (refurbished, to be accurate) laptop from Tier1 a while ago but so disliked Win11 that I've continued using the old Win10 machine. Is there a straightforward way to make Win11 more like...
13
13

Pioneers of African Aviation - Compilation
We don't usually associate Africa with innovations in aviation and space exploration, but here's proof to the contrary: engineer at 4m38s is welding on the undercarriage wtih his eyes shut!
5
5

OT: Windows difficulties
I run Win-10 in a VM to do software testing, which in this instance involved starting and configuring an email client under Windows, which would then communicate with a minimalist POP3/SMTP server I...
12
12

Remote control light switch?
Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it. I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa,...
57
57

TOT: shredded paper recycling
I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I would ask the question in general terms to the experts here. Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,...
49
49