Latest glitch

To transfer digital photos from the camera memory to the PC I am used to plugging the memory card in an adapter in to a convenient usb port. Post recent *roll up* of W7pro from MS this has stopped working.

In words of minimal technical complexity, how do I restore this?

I still have the original installation CD but the reference to Windows

98 is not inspiring!
Reply to
Tim Lamb

No idea, but what does a different adapter do in a different USB port with the same memory card and a different memory card?

:-)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

It sounds like you have changed the default action when the USB thingy is plugged in. So:

Plug USB thingy in. Double-click on the 'My PC' icon on your desktop, and select the USB thingy.

Reply to
GB

Does not work as in:

No USB connect sound - no drive appears USB connects, but drive it not mounted USB Connects, drive mounts, but nothing automagically happens after that?

(and do you mean win 7 or win 10/11)

Reply to
John Rumm

Right. It is back. Not 100% sure how but thanks!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I only have the one adapter! Fixed now. Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Speakers not used so no sound anyway. No drive appears. Occasionally the adapter would show a red light.

Red light only indication.

Doesn't get that far.

I'm still running the W7 box until after my tax return completes!

I think I'm ok now. The tray is now showing a *safe to disconnect symbol* but otherwise the picture loaded ok.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Whatever you do, don't tell us how you fixed it.

Reply to
mm0fmf

er. somewhere in *device manager* and USB controls...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

USB2 has device drivers in the OS. This is OHCI/EHCI support.

If a port is USB3 (which supports USB3/USB2 devices on the nine electrical connections), the driver is XHCI and is not provided with the Win7 OS. My NEC addon USB3 card, comes with a driver CD, and it has WinXP, Vista, Win7 USB3 drivers. Brands like Asmedia for the controller chip, have Win7 drivers. W8,W10,W11 have XHCI drivers built into the OS (just as generic a driver as in the USB2 case above).

In the case of USB2 (year 2005), the hardware worked like this.

------ USB1.1 logic block ----X X ------- Switch flips at runtime ------ USB2 logic block ------X Max five hubs in a row, it does not "waste a hub"

USB3 uses a hub logic block, and if USB2 mode is selected, you're using the XHCI driver and it is set to USB2 mode. If your USB to SD adapter was USB2, it might not work until the XHCI for this particular port, was installed.

XHCI +-----+ | Hub |---- USB2/USB3 starts in USB2 mode, then flips to USB3 mode | | +-----+

When USB4 comes along, it's hard to predict what the name will be :-) (Because USB4 did not really come from USB.org , it started life at Intel)

Device Manager, can show a device in a "Disabled" state or a device "lacking a driver". Various Stop codes hint at what is wrong.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

USB3 devices actually try Superspeed first and only if the probe signals do not get a response will the adapter then try USB2 modes. Surprising as it may seem it is perfectly possible to disconnect the USB2 D+ and D- signals and get correct Superspeed operation. I have made an adapter with disconnected D+ and D- signals and tested the operation of a variety of USB3 memory sticks. They work fine. John

Reply to
John Walliker