Gtech Airram (Mk2) K9 glitch.

A while back I think I was asking if anyone had experience of the Gtech cordless cleaners with the thought of getting one for Mum (now

89) to allow her to carry on with some basic / light cleaning (as is her wish) but easier (than a corded cleaner etc).

We went for a big discount offer she was sent on the K9 Multi combo and apart from a couple of issues [1], she has been very happy with them.

We popped in on Thursday evening and she asked me if I could 'fix the handle' on the upright cleaner as it wouldn't pivot down for use. I can remember it being pretty stiff from new so I gave it a go and she was right, it seemed to be pretty stuck. Not wanting to 'interfere' with something under warranty (and not being cheap etc)and a quick Google seemed to suggest this wasn't unknown and an improved part was available.

I rang Gtech support on Friday and they confirmed there was an upgraded bit and that they would send it via DPD, hopefully for a Saturday delivery.

It arrived at about lunchtime on Saturday and we popped round and I fitted it shortly after.

The strange thing is that the old bit had a softer spring but the new one actioned much lighter than the original one did from new (it was a spring loaded roller that actions over a cam, holding the handle in the upright position).

Mentioned just in case someone else has a Gtech upright that has a handle that feels like it's going to break something when you pull the handle down.

Cheers, T i m

[1] The other issues (now the main one is fixed) are:

a) To get the waste collection cylinder off the portable / Multi you have to pull a tang out of a spring loaded catch and (accepting it's very new), only just possible for my Mum (who is still pretty strong) or my Mrs.

b) It isn't (blatantly) obvious how you put the cylinder(s) back in on either, especially the upright. I suggest most of us here would glance at both parts and intuitively use the various clues to ensure they were brought together correctly first time, but not everone sees things so clearly.

c) To open the cylinder on the Multi you have to release a fairly small plastic catch / barb, again, not something I would suspect would faze most here but does require Mum to inspect it every time for a few seconds to work it out (and she rarely gives up on such things). ;-)

Reply to
T i m

The inventer guy on the TV comes across as a decent sort of chap, so how about feeding back your commentary to him personally?

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst
<snip>

I did feed one back when talking to CS the other day but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

With the ability to pull the cylinder from the Multi ... I can see how with that design it needs to hold it firmly so the cylinder doesn't come off accidentally in use but at the same time it IS pretty hard to pull off (even for me!), so that can't have really catered for people who aren't 'strong'.

Basically, within reason you shouldn't need any 'strength' to deal with most things on a domestic cleaner, especially the things you have to do regularly (like removing / emptying the cylinder)? ;-(

The Dyson V6 Animal we have ('had' till daughter borrowed it) you just pull a catch and the cylinder flaps open (even if the stuff doesn't always / completely fall out). The Dyson was too heavy at the top for Mum when being used as an upright though.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The machines that you mention all seem overpriced (especially when you consider the future cost of ownership when the time comes to replace the batteries).

"Poor suckers for poor suckers"

A couple of years back we bought a Henry for £99 new.

Yes, still tied to the mains socket, but that's not really a problem; not really a "3dB disadvantage"

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

This sounds a bit like a VAX I have. Overly complex to remove dust carrying part, and even has a very hard to see pip to locate it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff
<snip>

All down to convenience and the best of a (bad?) bunch?

See above.

??

Of course it is, along with it being heavy and bulky.

?

Mums Henry sits in the cupboard under the stairs unused (less I'm round there doing some messy repair work).

Mine is mainly used in the garage as we have a Miele indoors as it's much quieter than the Henry for prolonged use.

We would still rather lift the Dyson V6 Animal off it's charging dock than bother to drag any of the others out, pull the cord out and plug it in. Little and often is much easier than having to do a 'big hoover' less regularly.

Horses for courses etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And that's the thing, you would 'think' they would make all that sort of thing idiot proof.

It should really just fall into place itself and you really shouldn't need to have to read any instruction manuals!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Proof against idiots is not the same as proof against inteligent analytical people who could conceive of many different ways to skin a cat :-)

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

A good example of what I'm talking about could be the Apple MagSafe connector as used on their laptops.

It can't be forced in at an angle, can't be plugged in back to front, isn't so vulnerable to abuse (sideways impact from being moved / pulled) so it makes it pretty well idiot proof in most situations where 'people' might otherwise put a conventional jack type power connector at risk.

If they can highlight all the user / filler points under a car bonnet in yellow (dipstick, oil filler etc), they could colour / pattern mark things so there is a guide re how parts should be re-aligned on a vacuum cleaner.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m