Subject Author Posted Replies

rechargeable battery [technology] swap
So, what's likely to happen if I put a 600mAh Ni-MH battery pack in a device (cordless phone in this case) that's expecting a 400mAh Ni-Cd pack? Right now it gives the impression of working - the...
5
5

Combi boiler fires up for hot water but not for heating
I've discovered a problem in a bungalow I have up for sale: the boiler fires up almost instantly to provide hot water, but not at all for the central heating. This happens (or rather doesn't) whether...
16
16

Damp, taking its time
We had a chimney stack taken down and the back wall re-rendered in the spring. The bricks were apparently very wet ("saturated"). After some months, damp spots seem to have reappeared in the ceiling...
10
10

PING any arable farmers..
What is the standard autumn spray for emerging oil seed rape? only the farmer here was spraying 4 days ago and all the bees just died. Would it be cyhalothrin?
35
35

GRP or plastic drop-over box/enclosure supplier
The incoming mains electric supply to our place was housed in a brick built enclosure until last weekend. This enclosure external to the property but within a sturdy wooden fence. Alongside a quiet...
3
3

LED lamps
On Monday I got some LED lamps from Ikea as they're the cheapest retail that I could find and I needed ES[1]. My ex could do with some BC golf ball and candle format; there are plenty on e-bay BUT how...
10
10

Drilling porcelain wash basin
No really useful replies to my question of yesterday, so rephrase it... How risky/ difficult would it be to drill say a 6mm hole through a porcelain wash basin to allow a plug release linkage to pass...
19
19

Quick question - Stanley sliding wardrobe doors - top hung.
We have a set of four Stanley sliding wardrobe doors in the front bedroom which we would like to replace as they are looking a bit tired. We would like to replace them with mirror doors. They are a...
7
7

Immersion heater timer
I'm looking for a reliable but cheap digital timer for my immersion heater. I'd be willing to pay more for one that can be accessed over the internet, or at least from a smart phone. Any and all...
6
6

RF Thermostat settings
My thermostat died and I have a new one. With the old one I could set it to a low temperature (for when I go out) and a high (normal ~22C). The new instructions talk of the above ie what it calls...
1
1

Radiator Requirement for Open Lounge/Kitchen
Hi, We are currently in the process of renovating and are creating a large open lounge space which will have our kitchen, dining area and lounge area. We are having some trouble with location and...
5
5

Hammering nails straight
Any tips on how to hammer straight? (I'm fixing slates with copper nails but quite often they go a bit sideways and so dont line up with the holes for their heads.) [george]
27
27

Air con / heating?
I'm thinking of putting a split air con in a room at work, it's been so hot these last few months. If I understand correctly they can also heat economically, from what I think I know though they work...
16
16

OT One for the teachers - and for GB
Next episode on Thursday 9pm. At 6 minutes in a teacher dishes out a bollocking. A student answers back for being caught smoking at 7 minutes!. And THAT is what I have to put up with at work (not the...
55
55

OT: Outlook - when does it download mail?
I just set up a new email account for our Parish Council Chairman on her computer, running I think Win7 and whatever version of Outlook that would be. Anyway it's the one with the horrible tab strip...
12
12