Subject Author Posted Replies

New lid needed for coal/log bunker
I need to replace the lid of our coal/log store; this is a very simple block-built structure with a sloping (rotten) timber lid which just lifts up just like a car bonnet. No need to be attached with...
7
7

Male switches?
Installed an awning over the patio in Handyman Towers a few weeks ago. Fully electric job, wall mounted switch in an IP65 box. Now, since the awning has a motor, it's clearly a boy's toy. However,...
21
21

Dulux Weathershield gloss
I have been decorating the kitchen and ran out of gloss white but I had an unopened tin of weathershield so I used that, white gloss is white gloss bu t when I finished and was cleaning up I noticed...
12
12

What's the science behind supermarket fridges?
In the smaller Tesco and Co-Op they have drinks and other stuff in big open-fronted fridges, but the drinks are always really cold. How do they work? Are they just more powerful than a home fridge...
15
15

Tool chests
Following Dave "patronising" Plowman's comment on my lack of imperial spanners, it occurred to me that I must have some, since as he so charmingly pointed out, I've been working on old cars for years....
15
15

Feeling Smug!
I have just replaced a couple of tap washers. I am feeling really smug about it as the taps came apart so easily as I had greased the threads in a nurdy moment when I had first bought the house new in...
20
20

Dismantling Bath/Shower diverter tap
This is a "how the f*** does that come apart" question :) Its like this one, except mine is goldplated Problem is that something is stuck so I can only get bath water out of it, no flow from the...
4
4

tumble dryer motor rating?
Hi all, Any idea of the typical rating for a tumble dryer motor (early 1980's, if it makes a difference)? I just got hold of an old Rockwell 10" bandsaw, minus its motor. Far as I can find out, the...
1
1

Lamp holder for marine environment
Is there an E27 lamp holder that works better in a marine environment? It is for the terrace in a house near the sea. The current lamp holders and bulbs get rusty fast. Are there any E27 lamps with...
6
6

free screwfix tool tray
Has everyone got their free Stanley tool tray from screwfix ? I went to Toolstation first, queue up to the door. Then went round the corner to screwfix to get my free tool tray - place was empty. She...
7
7

Underfloor heating in a new extension
Dear All, Any advice or comments on the following plan? I want to build extensions to the kitchen and dining room parts of a linked kitchen-diner. I am contemplating having under-floor heating in the...
3
3

Stand alone baths ?
No, not the ones in the middle of the room but the ones close to the wall, usually in a corner. Having spent a couple of decades perfecting the art of sealing a bath to the wall, before tiling down...
10
10

What's it called - Lighting flex fixing
I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling rose. From memory these were available as a small plate fixed...
14
14

45 degree elbow for shower head - where to source
Just installed a nice chrome finish shower mixer, hose and head. Feeling pleased with myself ... Too soon! Problem is I can't get the shower to point where I want it to, even though it's adjustable....
13
13

Title of Filme Noire: Platinum Heist
Can anyone tell me the title of a French film with English subtitles that I saw on British TV around 1970 give or take about 5 years. It's a crime film, and (I think towards the end of it) the...
16
16