Dismantling Bath/Shower diverter tap

This is a "how the f*** does that come apart" question :)

Its like this one, except mine is goldplated

Problem is that something is stuck so I can only get bath water out of it, no flow from the shower side.

This guy had the same problem and his photos are good although he didn't get an answer

Perhaps he should have asked here!!

I had difficulty removing the valve actuator, but after seeing his 9th pic realised my spindle was stiff and I needed to grip it with pliers to stop it turning as I turned the actuator assembly with a spanner. Previously the spindle and was turning as well, causing the pin to jam in the valve inards. Once I held the spindle still, the actuator unscrewed easily.

Now I can see the valve as in pic 11 (the last pic), but to access it I think either or both the top or bottom connections muust be removed. Unlike that diynot tap, mine does not have a nut holding the shower connection to the tap as per diynot pic 2, but is like this

I suppose the shower part and the bath spout must both be screwed into the main part but applying a fair force does not shift them. I plan to take the whole thing off the bath to apply more force in the bench vice. Does the panel agree these parts should yield to that?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

If you are going to the trouble of removing it, I'd just replace it.

You could re do that silicone whilst the tap is out :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmm, no hidden grub screw at the back? Looks like the shower holder must separate from the bath taps and I'd it doesn't unscrew then I wouldn't force it. Feel around with your finger for a dimple at the back.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What!! Replace it before trying to fix it, no way - I'm a war-baby ;)

Reply to
Phil Addison

Nope, no screw or dimple. I managed to turn the spout 30 degress by bashing with a big rubber mallet but its hellish stiff. I'm beginning to think it is screwed but sealed with loktite to fix it in the correct position. I'm taking it off this afternoon so either its fixable or it will be a replacement job.

Reply to
Phil Addison