OT One for the teachers - and for GB

Next episode on Thursday 9pm.

At 6 minutes in a teacher dishes out a bollocking. A student answers back for being caught smoking at 7 minutes!.

And THAT is what I have to put up with at work (not the smoking bits as we allow smoking).

Now GB, I can assure you I expect the same standards from my apprentices as the headmaster expects from his pupils. I also say please and thankyou to the apprentices as often as the headmaster says to his pupils. I promise you that I do not spend all day shouting at them.

Reply to
ARW

I also found the opening very annoying - showing the head in his office and then pulling back to show the door with the sign saying "Headmaster" (or teacher or whatever it was) and underneath it being repeated in (presumably) arabic. For God sake, it is an English school.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

On Tuesday 10 September 2013 19:21 SteveW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

cf Heathrow Airport:

This is the primary international airport in the UK. How many signs are repeated in languages other than English?

A: f*ck all.

So according to some PC dobber, a hole in the road in Wales needs bilingual signage as does (apparantly) a headmaster's office; but a place that is expected to be full of people who may not speak English with a legitimate reason does not deserve any consideration.

Obviously you cannot put every sign in every language, but I would have thought they could have managed French, Mandarin, Spanish and a couple of others, maybe Russian, even if in "small print". Those would cover a large proportion of the world's peoples one way or another.

Reply to
Tim Watts

But was the sign in arabic for the kids or their parents or their Grandparents?

And why do so many posters to this group seem to have married a foreigner? It seems to be an above average number.

Reply to
ARW

I have some (limited) sympathy for the kids. The Head's clearly changed the punishment for smoking without warning the kids first. It has an element of unfairness to it. The only answering-back from the kids is when they try to voice this.

They are not challenging his authority, and in the end they just get on with the punishment.

(I just watched from 6 mins to 8 mins, so I may have missed something.)

Do you really allow smoking on clients' sites?

Okay. I've probably been a bit hard on you. :)

Reply to
GB

Does it matter? You live in the UK, you learn English. Just as I would expect to learn the language of any country I moved to.

Well although she was born here and is a UK citizen, my wife also has Irish citizenship as her parents were born in Ireland. Does that count?

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

My position was that they knew full well that they are not allowed to smoke and what punishment the Head deems appropriate at the time is immaterial. It could even be that he has made it harsher because they are being punished for repeating the offence (since they obviously know what last week's punishment was). Questioning that punishment and the Head's judgement is a no no anyway.

If they were being punished for something that had just been banned without their knowledge, that would be a different matter and they would be fully entitled to question it.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Reply to
Mr Pounder

No it hasn't because they simply shouldn't break the rules. If they do they have to take whatever punishment is given.

I was astounded at how the kid in the head's office was allowed to sit down. Then he put his feet on the table!

The problem is that the teachers have no sanctions that work. When I was at school serious misdemeanours got an automatic six of the best, delivered as hard as possible. It was absolutely horrible; very distasteful and brutalising. It often drew blood. It left the kid a quivering heap on the floor. But it only happened a couple of times a year in the whole school and basically everyone behaved themselves pretty well all the time as a result.

The system was that all teachers could award 'black marks'. If you got too many you were beaten. So discipline was enforced by means of very rare actual punishment, because anyone getting near the threshold would be very well behaved for the rest of term.

It's a pity that corporal punishment, for various good reasons, is no longer an option.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

[...]

It's also why taxis in Wales have to also say Tacsi - in case some Welsh person has never seen the letter X.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , ARW writes

Mine is from Suffolk!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well, foreign to me...mine is from Tottenham! But she moved to Suffolk 3 months before we met...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sad bastards with mail order brides?

(ducks)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've only seen the trailers so far, but they make me immediately think: surely schools and pupils aren't really like that? My school and the pupils there weren't 30 years ago.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

Its to stop them confusing it with a chocolate covered biscuit!

Reply to
dennis

and that person might be Jenkins - a good Welsh name with non-Welsh J and K.

Reply to
PeterC

Probably Urdu or some such shit.

Or "ARAF" on the roads. Or Ysbyty, Ysgol etc in non Welsh speaking areas? PC tossers in the Welsh Assembly, that's why.

I was Perynyth Ysbyty at one point.

Reply to
harryagain

They are the one's that couldn't pull an English one and had to be content with an economic migrant from elsewhere. You can see why this was by their postngs.

Reply to
harryagain

Internet brides these days. I get about one offer a week by email. Is this because they have never met me?

I did get several face to face offers fro women in Papua New Guinea while on holiday there. Some were very pretty.

harryagain